_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 17 January 2011

Intense Sewing Productivity

Contemplating the possibility of working - and needing work clothes - you might think I spent the weekend in intense sewing productivity and you'd be wrong. I did start a skirt. I haven't finished it yet although all it needs is a waistband.




The pattern is Vogue 7937, the same one I used for my party outfit in December. This time, it's sewn from a knit, one that's heavier than a t-shirt knit and lighter than a sweatsuit knit and not all that great of quality it seems. It's a lovely purple on the front and white on the back. When I snagged it on a pin, white pulled up to the front. A good choice for work fabric - LOL - assuming I get the job. Otherwise, it'll be for about the house. It's soft and comfy.




My serger is not working correctly. Instead of the trimmings falling away, they're going around the blade and getting sewn into the stitches. This was happening earlier and I assumed it was a dull blade except that after changing it, it's still happening. Now, I'm wondering if the second blade was also dull even though it was - supposedly - new with the serger or maybe I've installed it incorrectly. I'll take the machine into the shop and get Charlene's advice. Hopefully later today. As is, it's a frustrating way to sew.




My regular sewing machine is extremely picky about thread. It likes Mettler's Metrosene Plus but not their Poly Sheen. It's too fine and slippery and goes flying around the spool creating all kinds of issues except I have two boxes of it, in black, which is a color I use all the time so it would be nice to use this. On Saturday, I tried the Poly Sheen in the serger thinking it would make a neat, thin seam. It works great except it's too fine and slippery and goes flying around the spool creating all kinds of issues so I used caps and thread nets to prevent that from happening. The nets were less effective on the sewing machine. Luckily, they worked with the serger. Maybe it's the addition of the cap. I love how they've all settled out in all different ways.

Saturday night was pretty scary for drivers. I was sitting in the studio reading when I began to hear cars spinning out on the hill behind our house. At first, I though it was just a car with bad tires but when it kept happening I looked outside. It was shiny and there was a half inch layer of ice over the city. My son was at work. Howard took the new car to go and get him after shift and the all wheel drive worked like wonderful. Exactly the reason why we wanted that feature. YES YES - they made it home safely. Yesterday, the weather warmed up and it started melting. Of course. Isn't that the way it goes.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - traveling safety

4 comments:

  1. The skirt is turning out beautifully. It will definitely make heads turn.

    How did your job interview go? Did they give you any feedback?

    I am praying for you.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skirt is too pretty to just wear around the house - save it for when you start working! It does look comfy. Hope the ice has melted and your serger is humming smoothly!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. The skirt is beautiful! I'm glad everyone made it home okay despite the nasty weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My serger will do the same thing on some knits. Hoepfully it is just a material issue and not a serger issue! Skirt looks nice!

    ReplyDelete