_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 13 January 2011

Don't Sew An Orphan

Twice in the last week, I've read the phrase don't sew an orphan, sew an outfit. This is a new to me phrase although not a new concept. Something I really need is a pair of dress pants. It makes sense to then sew a top to go with and perhaps a cardigan or soft jacket, maybe a skirt that co-ordinates and... and... and... It's mini-wardrobe and endless-combination-ish all in one. I wonder what pattern I should start with?




The bra in this turquoise and white set was sewn months ago before I perfected the pattern. It fits but not as nicely as some of my more current ones. It was sewn from a recycled t-shirt and then put in a box until I had time to sample and sew the co-ordinated panties. This is my first ever matching bra and panty set. You'd think at my age that I would have had more but other than black or white separates, I've never had something fancier from the same fabric, not even when I got married!

The panties took half an hour to sew once cut out which means my dozen from the other day took about six hours. Yup. That's about what it felt like. It was more fun sewing an individual panty than the dozen at once, especially in a different color than black.

Is the word panty spelled panty singular and panties plural or is it pantie and panties? I have Googled it and come up with both spellings. Spell check doesn't like the y ending. I do. Perhaps it doesn't matter. Perhaps I can spell it any way I want... LOL... so there!




Yesterday was a wonderful day of sewing. I spent almost the whole day in the studio first finishing the bra and panty set and then sewing a bra for my daughter. I bought this red with white polka dot overlay months ago in the bargain center. The red spandex dance fabric was there as well and was sufficiently stretchy, sufficiently strong enough, to be the band. This is the pattern we perfected when she was home at Christmas. It's Kwik Sew 2374. I'll mail it to her and if it fits as expected, then I can sew a bunch more, different colors, different trims. YES YES




Thanks for the comments yesterday on the "grayness". I had considered that being retired or being here with my family might be exactly what God wants me to do only I haven't been able to settle into that idea. It didn't feel exactly right so I've been waiting for either a change of feeling or a change of situation.

In Canada, when a couple files income tax, if one spouse makes below a designated amount, the other spouse can still deduct them as an expense. If the spouse makes above that amount, both parties have to declare income and file separately. Now that we no longer have my business deductions, we have talked a few times about me working a part-time, minimum wage job that would keep me below that amount, get me out of the house and interacting with other people, and allow me to earn my own spending money while allowing Howard to deduct me, something that would be advantageous to his income tax and - in essence - thereby earn me a higher salary due to the return. I'd also have less time to spend money which should put me ahead in the end. It sounds like a win-win.

On Monday, after I heard about Fabricland's moving and expansion sale, I decided to apply for a part-time position. There wasn't one posted, it just seemed that if they were getting bigger, they might need more people. I have an interview at 9:30 tomorrow morning.

Fabricland is the only game in town. There are no other fabric stores except the quilt shop and I am done with quilting as a full time occupation so this is the only place where I can work with these particular skills although - LOL - the whole idea makes me laugh. Don't you think it's like putting the crack addict in the pharmacy? If I'm surrounded by fabric will more or less come home with me? That is IF they hire me.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the interview feels like a sign of something. I'm glad.

13 comments:

  1. Best wishes on your interview! It would be too dangerous for me to work at a fabric shop! I'd be paying them to work there.
    The bras are beautiful as always. I particularly like the aqua set. I'm trying to start wearing "sets" myself. One of my New Year's Resolutions, I guess.
    The Kwik Sew 2374 was the very first bra I ever made! I still have it around here somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting a fabric addict in a fabric store sounds like a good idea to me. I have heard that after a while the addiction kind of wanes. I know that when I worked in a candy/soda fountain I stopped eating as much candy and malts. LOL
    Good luck in your interview.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the interview. I have worked in several fabric stores, though none more recent than about 25 years ago. I still have fabric from those stores in my stash. ;) Seeing everything as it comes in, and getting an employee discount are strong temptations. But it is also very satisfying to help folks on their sewing adventure. I loved working in that environment with other women who sewed - talking and problem solving with co-workers and customers who loved the same things I did.

    Lois K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your interview. Working in a restaurant made me want to eat less, so maybe a fabric store will have a similar effect?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the red polka dot bra!! I'm also a total sucker for ruffled organza trim. So fun!!
    Good luck on your interview. I hope you can find the best fit for you. My mother worked in fabric stores for much of my teen years. She used to joke that she should just sign over her paycheck to them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of this year's sewing goals is to take a lingerie class. I spend a fortune on lingerie for myself and my daughters. The teal set is so beautiful and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you well for the interview - they hadn't even advertised but will interview you - sounds like a good omen to me. Good luck.
    Lyn in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Luck with your interview. I would have a hard time keeping my paycheck in a good fabric store. I hope you have more will power than I do :) I love your lingerie sets. I'm still working on bra fitting. I'm determined to get it right for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Myrna,
    I think the job sounds perfect for you. You'll have time out of the house with other adults who talk the language of sewing, have time with the family, and keep your earnings under the magic number for tax purposes. So what if you spend a chunk of your paycheck there? Isn't that why we work? To have money to spend on our hobbies and clothe our bodies? Sewing combines those two things. I often think that a part-time job at a fabric store may be something I will pursue when I retire from teaching. Best wishes for a successful interview!
    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  10. That job sounds like JUST the thing! Eventually, you're going to have to open an Etsy shop for lingerie, because you have serious talent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, they will. Why shouldn't they hire you?! You're knowledgeable of the subject matter, articulate, sensible in the best sense of the word and, by the sound of your posts, patient, tolerant, and forgiving. I can just see you taking advantage of their staff discounts and showing off your creations at the store for all the customers to admire! Best of luck!

    PS. You're making a red polka dot outfit, right? A panty to go with the bra? Lucky young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck on the interview. I think that this is a perfect match.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you do not get hired, it will only be because the store manager is intimidated by your experience. Hopefully, she'll love your skills and snap you up.

    Looking forward to seeing more beautiful things in 2011 made from fabric bought with your employee discount. ;-)
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete