_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 28 January 2011

Am I Having Fun Doing What I Do For Fun?

My toenails hurt. It's not my shoes. I've been wearing the incredibly supportive Earth Originals that I showed you a few months ago - two pairs - in varying heights, great arch support, cushioned heels. The sad reality is that I'm incredibly sedentary and have in all honesty been sitting for most of the past eighteen years. I stopped power walking while pregnant with my youngest and haven't done much in the way of exercise since. I have good intentions. I start. I try. However, as they taught me in network marketing school, more often than not, try means no. I have not stuck with anything.

Yesterday felt like a feeding frenzy of fabric. It was busy from the moment I arrived at work until the moment I left. Not once, in four hours, did I move from my cutting spot. In fact, I was relieved from my post in the middle of a hugely extensive, pages and pages, order. If not, I'd have been there for another thirty minutes I'm sure. Looking at all those women madly stocking up I found myself thinking I'm not one of them. Hmm.... well... we've all seen my MANY meter fabric stash. Talk about in denial.

On the way out the door, I picked up four different 22" zippers, one each in black, blue, grey, and purple, because I still hadn't decided what fabric to use for my dress. And then I bought some broadcloth for muslins. When the order was totalled, I found myself thinking I worked three hours for that. Ah yes. The joy of awareness. Apparently, I have my own issues - LOL.

On Fun was Virginia's (or at least I think that's her name) posting yesterday at Signposts in the Sea. I enjoy this thought provoking fashion blog. She wrote - It sort of hit me that I have found myself rather serious lately - and her words sparked a thought, a question. Am I having fun doing what I do for fun?

While I have a good sense of humour, I would never be described as a funny person. I'm rather serious - a bluestocking if we were to talk of Victorian England. I love information and learning, growth and development, opinions and debates. I tend to tackle new subjects with a near obsessive compulsive drive, often with pendulum swings from one extreme to another. I am all this way or all that way before I settle to center.

Style Underdog is one of three fashion blogs that I read. What I love about this blogger is her reality. She is near to my age. She works part time. She is married with children. She drives car pool. She has a fabulous sense of humour. Her few words are typically fun filled as are her wardrobe combinations. She plays. All is not seriousness.

In her posting yesterday, Catherine Daze wrote, so this is either going to be an interesting learning experience or an epic fail. Possibly both. I don't even remember exactly what Catherine was referring to. I just remember that the sentence, like Virginia's, struck a cord. So often we don't even try out of fear of possible failure or perhaps too much work or perhaps a lack of purpose or perhaps a fear of what people will think. Doing is such an amazing adventure.

After the update on the Self Imposed Sewing Club, I found myself thinking about those patterns whose cons outnumbered their pros. What could I do to transfer the pro elements to a pro garment? For instance, in the 80's I had a blouse pattern with two back layers. One was a normal length, tuck in, layer and the other was a shorter swing peplum starting at the shoulders, secured at the side seams, and ending above the waist. LOVED that blouse. I could definitely transfer the swing aspect of Vogue 8146 to a blouse.

Yesterday, I caught a quick glimpse of Simplicity 2248. It's definitely not my kind of pattern, way too sweet. However, the waist feature had echoes of Vogue 1202. My mind started working out how to use my T & T t-shirt pattern to draft a cross over front with a buckle minus the Dolman sleeves. I have it all worked out - I think. My mind is hopping with ideas for finishing my dress, drafting a blouse, designing a new T shirt and - YES YES - I'm having fun doing what I do for fun. Are you?

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - energizing ideas

2 comments:

  1. You have sparked an emotion in me that I didn't even know I had. Fun doing fun things. What a question!
    Lately my sewing and quilting have taken a sideline because I have been knitting up a storm. Last year your knitted hats struck a message for me and I started doing the same thing. I turned in 11 hats in 2010. I have already finished 6 hats for this year and cannot seem to put down my knitting needles.
    With all the UFO's and unstarted projects I am starting to get worried that my definition of fun has changed. And this is when I have a new Baby Lock serger in layaway. Oh, dear!
    Have a great weekend.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having fun in life is one of my goals. It's not the purpose of my life, but it contributes to a lot of joy along the journey.

    I've found that often I have to make my own fun.

    And I've been sewing lately! It's been fun. I hope to show some stuff on my blog soon. I was stymied by breaking my twin needle last weekend and set myself the goal of finishing a major paper before going into Nanaimo to replace the needle. That happened yesterday - replacing the needle. The paper is still being polished.

    ReplyDelete