_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 4 February 2011

Shrunken Jeans, AWOL Tissues, And Progress

While I didn't clean house yesterday, I did fold a load of laundry only to discover that my favourite jeans were not hung up to dry. They went in the dryer where they shrunk to wiggle in and peel out status. After a day of wearing, they are still quite figure conforming. Darn!

My oldest son invited me out for coffee yesterday morning. We had a wonderful forty-five minute chat before he headed off to university. Other than that, and one errand, I spent the entire - fabulous - day in the studio.




Catherine Daze started her posting Shades of Red by writing "I seem to have been sewing V8667 forever" I can so relate. Me too! And I'm not done yet although I'm making progress. Here's the picture again so you can remember what I've been working on for the last two weeks. I originally bought this pattern after seeing Catherine's red dress. It's gorgeous.




The shoulder princess muslin turned out well. I was testing the chart measurements more than the style as well as the ease amounts used for V8667 which seem rather generous to me. I prefer less ease through the bodice because it just pools at my sides which are rather flat. I'll most likely take in the sides on the real thing, which is more easily done than not having enough fabric.

I used shoulder princess seams in the back aligning with the skirt darts at the waist and armscye princess seams in the front aligning with the pleats at the waist. I think this will look the most flattering on me. The pattern is drafted with armscye seams front and back so it's only a slight change.

When I tried to compare my drafted pattern to the pattern tissues, I couldn't find any of the bodice pieces. They have all gone AWOL together. I hope they're having fun. Come home soon.




I cut out the pieces in a blue-green linen that I bought years ago, so many that I can't remember which store I bought it in. It's my second choice. I really want to sew the dress in a black eyelet with a bright color underneath for the lining and a co-ordinated ribbon at the waist however - before I do that - I'll further test and perfect the fit with a wearable muslin. The linen is lovely only it's not blue, black, grey, or purple which means I need another dress length zipper. Guess where I'm going today? LOL




The bodice sections are pinned together. The back skirt darts are marked and pinned. The front skirt pleats are marked and the seams pinned. I'm ready to sew. YES YES

I haven't decided if I'm lining this version or not yet although I will need to decide soon. Have a great weekend. Could be that I'll have a real dress to show on Monday. I hope so.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the lengthened CB and CF seems to have worked well

2 comments: