_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 7 September 2011

Fall Planning Session

The last few days have been absolutely gorgeous. The sun is shining. The air is hot. It's the summer we never had now that I've started to think about fall sewing. How typical. Just as we start to move in one direction, things shift. Take for instance that tomorrow I will be applying for a full time job. While there's no guarantee that I'll be hired, if I was, I haven't worked full time for someone else in twenty-five years. What a shift that would be.

The job sounds interesting. It's at the university which is where I would really like to work so I'll be happy if I get an interview and thrilled if I get hired and okay if I don't because I know that eventually - when the time and the situation are right - I'll be working again. However... ... just in case I do get the job...

... I plan to spend the next few weeks giving my house a tip to toe cleaning. Now that the second of our three children has moved out, I'm looking at some of those books and games and videos with a what do we need that for eye. It's time to shift them along and be open to new possibilities. For me, deep cleaning the house has always been a way of allowing flow. It's as if by eliminating what we don't need and opening up space, I allow more to come into my life. It sounds strange. It works. I find this kind of cleaning incredibly soothing. For me, it's stress reducing.

Yesterday, on page 172 in The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women, I read - Stress is a creativity killer. The secret to living in abundance is learning the art of making positive life choices.... While meditations, exercise, and vacations all have the potential to reduce negative stress, you can lie on the floor all you want and relax, but if your relationships are lousy or you hate your work or your creativity is being stifled, you will remain stressed out. Your life choices, positive and negative, determine your well being. Negative life choices steal your peace of mind and compromise your potential as a creative conduit. True Positive Priorities living means productively resolving the problems in your life and activating life choices such as living where you want, doing work you love, surrounding yourself with mutually fulfilling relationships, and taking care of your mind, body, and spirit. By learning the art of making positive life choices, you can resolve the stressful challenges in your life and free your creative energy.

In part, that's what my Fall Planning Session is about - making positive life choices. I don't believe it's possible to live a picture perfect life, especially if you live with another person or persons. There will always be compromises to make however, by choosing those compromises myself and knowing that I have weighed and measured them to the best of my abilities, as much as I am able I can create a situation in which I exist peacefully and creatively.  That's as good as it gets. I think it's better to act than react.




The books I'd ordered from Chapters.ca arrived yesterday morning. I enjoyed flipping through them. There was a lot of eye candy and yet... of the twelve I'd ordered... I'm only keeping the one above for myself and debating one as a gift for my daughter and that's it. The rest were either too basic or too off the subject.

Creative Embellishments features quite a few products that I haven't previously used like fun foam and air dried clay. They'd be useful in textile jewelry... the creating of which will start slow while I clean... and possibly sew a work wardrobe. We'll see how that goes. First things first. Today, a planning session. Tomorrow, the start of cleaning. Definitely, I should sew/create a little each day so I need to start something tonight.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - job opportunities

2 comments:

  1. "you can lie on the floor all you want and relax, but if your relationships are lousy or you hate your work or your creativity is being stifled, you will remain stressed out"
    I like the way she writes. I have seen this so many times. People who need to vent about a partner, a job, a situation, and you listen. That's what friends do. Then 4 months later, you hear the same list of complaints. You maybe say, so what do you need to do to change that? And the humming and hawing starts. And 4 months later, you hear the same complaints. We have some friends I won't listen to anymore because I heard it all 8 years ago. They are chosing to live like this, so listening isn't going to change anything. We all have the power to change our lives and lying on the floor isn't going to change anything.

    Good luck with the job application. I could see the university environment working well for you. They (generally) can be more accomodating and understanding of issues like environmental sensitivities so you shouldn't end up repeating the Fabricland experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like you are dreaming new dreams and have new energy to investigate them. I hope the job application is successful, if not, there's something else out there for you.

    ReplyDelete