_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 9 September 2011

My First Necklace

You know that feeling when you try something new - like you're all butterfingers and can't put two thoughts together. You'd think I'd never held a needle before or strung beads or tried to fold fabric BUT...



... my first necklace is finished. What you can't see in the image is the single black bead between each fold. It's a half inch down from the top and a quarter inch back from the front. The end result isn't perfect and that's okay. It's a muslin of another sort. I have ideas for what to do differently next time. I'm pretty proud of this first attempt. It's not quite as big as it looks from the angle of the photo. The fabric part is 3/4" deep, 3" high, and 3 1/4" wide.

 


After the fabric, there are five small beads like the ones between the folds and then three larger beads and then twenty-one chain links and finally a lobster clasp closure. A fun beginning.




I made the necklace in the afternoon after cleaning the whole house, all of the hall closets, and my clothes closet. It was a good start on the upstairs. Above is our hall closet. It's walk-in with coats to the right and shoes to the left. I now have two shoe shelves. LOL - it's still not enough though. I've put away the summer shoes for now.

We have lived in this house eight years which is longer than I've ever lived anywhere. I'm itchy for change but the kind where you'd like to be in another place as opposed to do the work of getting there. We're going to shuffle the house a bit and see how that works starting with touching up the paint in what was Aryck's bedroom, having the carpet cleaned, and moving the guest room up there. Then, I'll touch up the paint in the guest room and move Kyle down which he thinks is fabulous and I think may be a sanity saver. The room is closer to where Howard and I spend most of our time so we'll see more of him BUT... it's also at the end of the hall and has a bigger closet so - hopefully - we'll see less of his mess. He's a "collector". That leaves his old room to become a second guest bedroom with the single bed that we've been storing for a few years now.  And then, I'll decide about the rest of the house. I may be tired at that point... or employed... I sent in the application yesterday.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - two shoe shelves - YES YES!

5 comments:

  1. How fun to be starting something new. I know you will work and re-work your designs until they are just what you want.
    Housecleaning can be so satisfying. If one is in the right mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I was startled at the necklace photo -- it is so prefect! Unexpected loveliness: shape is unusual, fabrication is interesting, details are married together so well that it is difficult to see what makes this piece so special. What is the word i need ... unobtrusive. The kind of quality that, when you see it, you know it is very, very good. You have a real gift for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That necklace is fun, and I hope this new endeavor brings you joy. Good luck on the job front!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the necklace. I'm imagining you will make all sorts of wonderful new jewellery to match your outfits now. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that necklace, so pretty xx

    ReplyDelete