_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 12 September 2011

Guatemala Scraps

On Saturday, I repainted two of the walls in Aryck's old bedroom. On Sunday, Howard cleaned the light fixture, the blind, and the window while I washed the doors and baseboards. Tomorrow, the carpet will get cleaned and then I'll touch up the paint on the window frame and it's done. One room. It certainly makes you feel like leaving the rest. A house is such a lot of work.

I've been reading Barbara Sher's book It's Only Too Late If You Don't Start Now. Her first book - Wishcraft - is one of the most influential books I've ever read. In fact, it's one of the few books I've reread more than once, usually every five to ten years. This other book is tough slugging. It presumes that I'm in a constant panic about aging while at the same time assuming that I haven't accomplished many of my goals and - having realized that life is passing me by and that I may never get to the things I want to do - keeps telling me how old I must be feeling in some attempt at hand holding. I'm 30% finished. It's rather annoying by now.

I wouldn't have picked up the book if I was unaware of aging but that doesn't mean I'm distraught and hysterical over the fact or that I've never accomplished anything in my life so far. I'd be incredibly unaware if I didn't realize I was closer to the end than the beginning of life BUT... that doesn't mean I'm going to roll over and play dead and give away the rest. I have a feeling those people aren't reading these kinds of books and we who are want realistic help.

From a list of possible factors, one question asked which was holding me back from attaining a goal. My answer was money. The next prompt was what would you do if you knew you only had two years to live and my answer was borrow against my life insurance. The third prompt was along the lines of well then, what's holding you back. Hmm... lets see... the hope that I'll live more than two years ? ? ? and the need to be financially responsible... and the lack of a terminal illness to justify the borrowing. That was so NOT helpful. Normally, I enjoy reading self-help books. Lately, I've found them irritating. Maybe that's a sign of aging like...

... being really annoyed when pretty young things make such stupid and immature comments that they have no idea are insulting to women my age. A while ago, one of the girls at work was talking about visualization and goal setting and how that's the way to get you want. When I inserted that there is reality to factor in as well, she indicated that if I hadn't attained my goals, I hadn't worked hard enough. Having worked my behind off, and having it allude my grasp how to control the world economy, that was insulting. I recommended she read Malcolm Gladwell's book The Tipping Point which talks about that exact factor - that it's not just about how good you are or how hard you work, it's also whether or not the stars align. Yesterday, another young woman told me that I couldn't possibly understand the mixed emotions of returning to work with a one year old child. Really... yes I could... I've done that.

I'm sure when I was their age, I said some of the same things. Undoubtedly, I insulted someone. Sigh... the cycle of life.




I cut out another pair of Burda 7400 pants from the Guatemalan fabric my husband brought me. First, I taped the side seams together on the pattern so that the pants were two pieces joined at the crotch and inseam. Then, I matched the grain lines on the pattern together to find the new grainline so that the stripes would fall straight from the side. After that, I attempted to match the plaid. In-between the bright colors of the dominant stripes are vertical and horizontal stripes of gold metallic thread. Apparently Guatemalan weavers insert these randomly. They were no where near evenly spaced however, I managed to find a way to closely align them through the front and back crotch. The inseam is completely off... but then again... it's doubtful anyone will be crawling around under my legs checking out my plaid so it's all okay.




There was a huge pile of Guatemalan scraps left over. I put them to one side thinking they'd be perfect for fabric beads. That's the third scrap pile I've saved which means that jewelry making could be worse than scrap quilting. You need such a little bit of fabric that you're tempted to keep everything. The necklace shown Friday used one strip of fabric 1 1/2" wide and the common consensus was that the necklace was too deep - a 1" strip would have done. You can see that a pile of scraps would make a LOT of necklaces and the danger of keeping everything.  Some controls will be necessary.

I don't have much in the way of plans for today. The sun is still shining and encouraging me to be lazy and enjoy. Howard has the day off. We'll spend some of it together including moving things out of the way for the carpet cleaners tomorrow. They are cleaning the empty bedroom, the stairs and hallway, Howard's office, and the family room. It should be all nice and fresh. And then, I have to decide about shuffling furniture.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - reality checks

1 comment:

  1. There is a photo essay re: breast cancer awareness that shows the results after mastectomies. A friend posted about it on Facebook. Then someone commented how horrible it was for those young beautiful women to have to go through all that. I replied that it was horrible for all women, regardless of age or supposed beauty. I still get angry about that kind of thoughtlessness.

    I enjoy reading your blog and sharing in your life. Thanks.
    hugs
    Caro

    ReplyDelete