_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 1 September 2011

Glitter And Dance

There was a sun shower last night. How different the rain looks with a backdrop of golden yellow. Suddenly, the same water falling down from the sky is all glitter and dancing.  Perspective is everything. I was on my way out to Michael's when it happened or I might not even have glanced outside. Something so rare and beautiful should not be missed.



I think in the United States that Michael's is a fabric store. In Canada, it's a chain of (overpriced) craft stores. I was looking at jewelry supplies - just to see what was there - and came home with two silver necklace blanks, a bracelet blank, and three sets of lime and blue beads. It'll let me experiment. I've never made jewelry before however, ever since I left Lorraine & Gail's exhibit on the weekend, I've had a jewelry idea tickling at the back of my brain. More later.

Because of the tickling, I spent a whole lot of time yesterday researching jewelry artists. If you want to see some amazing zipper art, check out Katie Cusack. OH MY! When I got home...



... look up - look down... BOTH of my sons were cleaning out their closets. Aryck to move. Kyle I'm not sure why but I wasn't going to complain. I took pictures. THIS is not going to happen again - LOL - especially as Aryck is moving out, partly today, everything for sure tomorrow. His land lady called last night and apparently, the previous tenants left burn holes in the bedroom carpet in their non-smoking suite so it's being replaced today. They wondered if he could delay moving in by a day and he can, excited as he is. He'll have a fresh clean bedroom at least...



... and a LOT more stuff because his mother spent yesterday morning at WalMart buying a "few" things he might need and has a list on the counter of what she forgot. We don't pay for university. I believe it's cheaper to set a child up in the first apartment but it could be close - LOL.

I'm off to work this morning, four hours, and then we'll see. Still no sewing. Eventually, those pants will get finished.

Talk soon - Myrna
Grateful - sun showers

4 comments:

  1. I am also toying with the idea of making necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. I will have time this year as my hours of work are cut back and I am not doing as much customer sewing.
    Children moving out is both exciting and sad. Exciting as they grow and sad as the nest gets empty.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michaels is a chain of craft stores here in the U.S. In fact, when I first heard of the fabric store called Michaels, I was *very* confused. It took quite awhile before I realized what folks meant by it. And I've been to the brick and mortar store in Baltimore and it's called "A Fabric Place", probably because of the chain.

    I've also been feeling like making jewelry lately, but can't decide on which direction to go. I look forward to seeing what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first summer that I haven't made any jewelry...a shame because I have so many supplies from Michael's and some lovely independent bead stores. I'll be curious to see where your new purchases lead you. And looking at other jewelry makers counts as research, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the U.S., Michael's is also an overpriced craft store. They sometimes have a few bolts of poor-quality fabric, and maybe some Simplicity and/or McCalls patterns. Therein lies the confusion. Hobby Lobby ditto on the fabric situation. Even in North Carolina, home at one time to the largest denim production in the world, you'll find only Hancock's and JoAnn's, and possibly a quilt shop or two, in the largest cities. In Danville, VA, Dan River long ago shut down their fabric production of decent cotton shirtings and broadcloth.

    ReplyDelete