_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 27 September 2011

On Jobs And Jewelry

Most of yesterday was spent editing and proof reading my latest job application - and then editing and proof reading it some more. I wanted to feel really confident before I sent it off because the opening is for a Curriculum Assistant at the university, a position that I am particularly well suited to and very hopeful of getting.

For a variety of reasons, having a job has become important to me. Even though I was only at Fabricland for a short time, I really enjoyed working outside the home. It took me forever to make that decision and once I did, it had lots of pluses one of which was financial. I had more money - LOL.

Have you noticed with all the talk of recession lately that your spending habits have changed? Even without giving it much conscious thought, I've found myself buying very little which is one of the reasons that the jewelry explorations are on hold. I'm the type of artist who gets an idea and then acquires a whole lot of options to test that idea. For example... if I was working on a textile piece and it needed a purple fabric and I didn't have the right shade in stash, I'd buy a half meter of seven to ten fabrics and auditioned them in the design. And then, if none of those worked, I'd buy and try some more options until I found the right piece. That's expensive if you're creating a single product and not so bad if you're acquiring a stash for multiple pieces as I was then.

I noticed myself going in that same direction with the jewelry ideas. With my first piece, I bought chain and wire and beads and small tools and closures and a few books and before I knew it, I'd spent well over a hundred dollars. I'm just not there right now. I don't want to invest any major amount of money in a new outlet. There is plenty of room for creativity with my current outlets and yet...

... later this afternoon, I'm having coffee with one of the gallery owners who used to carry my textile work. We'll discuss jewelry, what's important in terms of quality, design and originality, and which price points are more favourable. Already, that's too business-like for me because as fascinated as I am with the possibilities, I'm really not sure I want to be in business again and I'm especially not sure I want to be in a creative business. And yet... you wonder... I've applied for numerous jobs and so far, I haven't been hired. Will I be?

If I had my way, yes. Any one of the jobs that I've applied for recently would be perfect. Just because I haven't been hired so far doesn't mean I won't be soon. I might. But then again, I might not. And that's my dilemma. If I had a full time job, I wouldn't want to be in business not only because I don't want to spend all my time working but because I don't want to spend all my creative time focused solely in one direction. There's so much to explore. HOWEVER...

... if I don't get a full time job, then creating jewelry is the most interesting, most creative, and most viable business opportunity I've considered lately. It has potential only, when I think about being self employed again and about having a designated work space and designated work hours and strict boundaries for separating work and personal creativity, it all seems like too much. What I really want is a traditional job where I show up at the appointed hour, work hard, do excellent work, get paid, and go home to my private creativity.

Can you see how I'm circling in and out and about? It's this eternal waiting game of not knowing. I've never been much good at waiting and right now, I'm waiting to get a job, waiting for my son to decide what he's doing next, waiting to see what's developing with my husband's health, and... LOL... waiting for our house to sell. WHAT? I know...

... that's probably one thing too many only after we had the house all cleaned up and sorted out, we decided that now - while I wasn't working instead of next spring when I (hopefully) will be - might be the time to test the (incredibly slow) market. If I really could have my way, our house would sell immediately and we'd be moved and settled into the strata unit of our dreams just as I started an interesting, challenging, well paying job. Why not shoot for the stars? Only time will tell. Until then, I'm grateful for knitting. It...




... gives me a challenge to think about, something to keep my hands busy, and it's practically free. I have plenty of stash - LOL. For the front of the little girl sweater, I chose a simple, four row pattern. Knit. Purl. K1, P2 repeat to end. Purl. Repeat the rows. It's simple and pretty. I'm half way up the fronts and hope to get most of the rest finished at knitting tonight... IF... I'm back in time.

This morning, I'm driving to Vernon (1 1/2 hours) to see a friend. We'll catch-up, visit a dress shop to check out the designer details, have lunch, and tour a gallery before I head off to talk jewelry. And there I go, circling again.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful -  that eventually, given time, both the questions and the answers become clear and life settles

2 comments:

  1. Your life is never boring. Change and new opportunities keep cropping up for you.

    Actually just after the major clean up is a perfect time to dabble your feet in the housing market. Even if you don't get the house sold you will have a good idea of what possibilities lay out there for you.

    Yes, I am spending much less on my self these days. No classes. Little purchases of fabric. More purchases of thread to go with the fabric I already have.

    I go on retreat with several ladies the first full weekend in October. This is our 5th annual retreat and do I look forward to it every year! I have already chosen three projects to take with me. Two will stay in the car unless I get the first completed or I get really frustrated with it. That way I don't have a lot of stuff in my way of enjoying the creativity during the retreat.

    Have a wonder autumn.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is difficult when all these thought are circling in your mind.
    I guess it is a time when one just has to trust that the right path will appear.
    love,
    Anna K.

    ReplyDelete