_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 31 August 2011

To The Collection

The sun is shining through the French door in my studio. The sun is gorgeous. The door is not. It needs cleaning. Some days that never ending list of repeat chores can just drive you crazy if you know what I mean? I did it once and I don't want to do it again. LOL - oh well. Get over it. The joys of being alive.




I mentioned hopping about from Fabricland to Fabricland on the weekend. That means - of course - that I added a few more pieces to the collection. The fabric far left is a sweater knit. It's on the pricey side but I've used it before and know it sews and wears fabulously. I wanted more.

The blue is a polyester rayon lycra suiting blend. It was on sale for $7.00 a meter and has a lovely color and drape. I bought enough to have options.

The two print fabrics are actually the same. It's a knit remnant. I chose it for the side on the left thinking it looked wonderful with the grey knit and was a possible overlay. When I got it home and washed it, I discovered that the "right" side is the other one. Even so, I won't be using it. I like the other wrong side better. Too funny.




When Howard was in Guatemala in May, he sent me pictures of fabric so I could chose the one I wanted and then - unfortunately - when he went to pick it up at the market, the stall was closed. He left some cash with a friend who later bought and brought this piece back to Canada and gave it to her mother who lives only two blocks away. It took a month or so to make it over to our house. We were walking by the other day and they flagged us down. Too funny. It's lime, fuchsia, black, and gold - 37" wide by 8 yards long - which is apparently a standard length for wrapping. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. I'll start by figuring out if it's color fast and if not, how to make it so.

Today, the towels. I didn't do them yesterday. I did wash all the dishes and sheets and they need to be packed up this morning because I'm working tomorrow and that's the 1st and he's moving right straight after work. He just can't wait til the weekend. Moving out - an exciting for him, not so much for me - event. Another one of the joys of being alive. Actually, I am excited for him. I'm just being a mother.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - that my children are healthy and whole and that moving out is part of the path of becoming an independent, self supporting, adult. It's the way things are supposed to be. I know that and most days, I even embrace the whole idea - LOL. I have plans!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful fabric, particularly the piece from Guatamala. It is funny that sometimes the wrong side is better than the right side of fabric. I was at Fabricland yesterday looking at a stretch satin in the clearance area and thinking that the shiny side was maybe more than I want at work and I'd likely make a blouse out of it. I was really debating about the other side, it was pretty, the colours were softer. In the end I went for other fabrics, but I might change my mind and go for a second look.

    Good luck with the move. I know it's tough but as you say, part of seeing your children become the independent adults they need to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is tough seeing kids move out. It means a phase of life is ending. And it takes time to adjust to the new normal. The hardest for me was when the youngest left. Then I knew my active mothering years were really over. (a little tear pools in the corner of her eye)

    But I'm finding my way, dreaming new dreams, looking at life with possibilities.

    Your fabrics are beautiful. I'm definitely going to be looking for some sweater knits soon. I prefer their softer wear, even in a more tailored garment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful fabric. And good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete