_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 9 August 2011

A Ditzy Moment

Sewingelle wrote - Perhaps you are not really a pear shape? Imogen Lamport, an Australian image consultant of Inside Out Style blog has a series of great posts about body shapes and flattering styles. I found them most helpful.



Definitely interesting. Thanks for the link. Sometimes, I read these definitions and know for a fact that I am this particular figure type and other times I read them and wonder. For example, with Imogen's system, I read the A shape and thought well I don't really have heavy hips like she's describing so I read the 8 shape and that sort of fits but I don't really have notable high hips although that's an issue in the back while they are more sloped in the front so I read the X shape and that sort of fits if you figure in that I gain weight in the lower body first and then on my bust but rarely lose the defined waist even if it gets larger.



I have narrow shoulders and a heavier bottom. That's why I say I'm pear shaped. I think we can move through shapes as we age and mature which makes the info... clear as mud. The other day when I was working on a Kwik Sew pattern and my shoulder width fell in the extra-small range, I wondered if I lost weight - enough that it eventually came off my hips - would I be an hourglass, which gets us to the best advice I've ever read - dress the body you have - and makes me thankful for digital cameras so I can quickly see what a garment looks like.









On the weekend, I used the remnants from an earlier pair of pants to cut out McCall's 5523 - view B bottom right. I'd sewn the front and center back together and was priding myself on being so frugal and capable when I realized something was off. There were no side back panels. I'd forgotten to cut them out.



Glancing at my watch, it was after five and Fabricland would be closed. I knew there was more fabric left on the bolt but not much and for some reason, in my mind it was Saturday even though it was really Friday. I started to fret that the next day - Sunday - we were going out of town and when would I get my fabric and what if they ran out and what if there wasn't any in Salmon Arm where I could stop and what if... and then I realized that it was actually Friday, which meant I could go the next day when they opened at 9:30. And then I realized it was Friday night, which meant they were open late and I could go right now. Thankfully my brain kicked in. It was a ditzy moment.









I finished the skirt on Saturday afternoon. At that time, it fit snugly through the waist and hips. And then yesterday...









...when I put it on to go to work, my waist had shrunk 2". I measured. This is what I mean about my fluctuating waist. Two inches is significant. It happens depending on what I've been eating or other weird criteria. Either way, it makes garment fitting a nightmare.









Yesterday, I measured the front from side to side and cut a piece of elastic 2" shorter and sewed it to the facing seam allowance. The elastic could have been slightly shorter still however, it is pulling the front in snug again while still looking good. I've emailed Carolyn from Diary of a Sewing Fanatic for a link to her elastic waist tutorial. I know she uses elastic waistbands all the time and it's looking more and more like I need to lean in that direction. I couldn't find the how to info by Googling. If you know the link - or another one - please let me know. If you use elastic waistbands, I'd love to hear your method.









My favourite part of the skirt is the flippy pleats which were looking a bit wrinkly in the first photo since I'd just worn the skirt. I've sewn view D before with the circular inserts at the back. That skirt is fun to wear and gets a lot of compliments. I imagine this one will be similar. Strangely, that one has an elastic waist. I must have been going through the same issue at that time - LOL. How we circle.









I picked up these four fabrics at the Fabricland in Salmon Arm. They are now double washed and ready to sew. That's my new policy. Wash everything twice. On the far left is some crepe back satin to replace the yardage used in the frumpy A-line. The other black piece is just under a meter and a half of a lightweight flowing rayon. I'm not sure what I'll make with it but most likely a camisole type top for under cardigans. The two grey fabrics are suiting. The plaid has some stretch. These are for skirts or dress pants... possibly part of my 6-pac... for an office wardrobe when I need it.



THANKS again for all the support and suggestions around my allergies. It's frustrating. It will figure itself out eventually. God has a plan. I'm just waiting for it to be revealed. Since I'm not good at being patient, that may be part of the lesson.



At work yesterday, they were disappointed but understanding when I resigned. I talked to the manager who must have then talked to the assistant managers because they both came and spoke to me individually and made such nice comments that I ended up crying since I was feeling rather emotional already. Oh well. That's me. I was still feeling horrible in the morning so I worked four hours and then came home. I don't work again until Friday - and Saturday - and Sunday. We'll see how that goes.



Today, I absolutely must clean house and then I'm going for a walk and then I have company coming for ice tea on the porch and somewhere in there I'll sew. I'm working on a muslin for a jacket.



Talk soon - Myrna



Grateful - support in difficult situations

10 comments:

  1. That's a very nice looking skirt. It is so professional and smart looking!

    Marcy Tilton's book "Easy Guide to Sewing Skirts" has a tutorial on how to install a waistband with elastic just in back to accommodate a fluctuating waist size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...thankful for digital cameras so I can quickly see what a garment looks like.." Me too. Even asking others opinions doesn't help because most think if you can "zip it, it fits". Only the camera tells the truth.

    I too have the fluctuating waistline. I'm have 2 choice: elastic waistbands or belts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the google books link to Marcy Tilton's book:

    http://books.google.com/books?id=3NnJOVOOK1YC&pg=PA88&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading your blog. Always interesting and insightful. I laughed when I read the part about your waist shrinking 2"!. Happens to me too! For me it is eating grains. I skip them for a few days, and shrinkage. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy to learn that I am not the only one with fluctuating measurements! Only last night after I had finished the trouser draft ( seemingly in my size ) I re-measured myself and discovered that my waist has increased by 2 cm ( almost an inch ). Re-measured this morning - back to normal again! I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it certainly was interesting readind this post and the comments. I suspect that I, too, have one of those waists! It would go a long way to explaining the way my clothes do and don't fit! I love your skirt and I think I need to add this pattern to my collection. Every time I see it on a blog, I think what an attractive and versatile pattern it is. It's time I owned one myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big hug about your decision to give notice at Fabricland. Most certainly it was a very hard choice for you to make. Your blog seemed to indicate that you loved the job and interaction with staff and customers.
    I used to gain and loose between 10 and 15 pounds in 24 hours before I was diagnosed with endometriosis. I had a total hysterectomy in 1989 and it took care of the problem. I can feel your pain!
    Good luck with your following the protocol from the Environmental Health Center Dallas that your husband had. Prayers that it helps the situation.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another member of the varying waist club here!

    I've been finding that Burda patterns have some interesting waist options that are not just the standard elastic casing. I'm loving the wide band of knit fabric on the 7400 pants pattern, and I'm in the process of making up a pair of stretch denim leggings/narrow pants (from the 3/2011 magazine, I think) that are actually knit fabric from the crotch up! Both options are great for me - not only does my waist measurement seem to go in and out like the tides, but having a band pressing against my waist is quite painful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been a member of the varying waist measurement club for 15+ years. When I want the appearance of a regular waistband, I make the waistband a bit longer than my biggest waist measurement and use elastic inside the waistband. I sew the elastic without stretching it to the inside of the waistband just past where the button and button-hole will go since stretch in that area is a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Wash everything twice.". That's a great idea. My last knit dress, from fabric washed only once, shrank an inch in length when it was laundered.

    I really like your gray skirt.

    ReplyDelete