_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 15 August 2011

A Fabulously Frayed Edge

Last night, I didn't set the alarm and this morning, I slept in. It's nice to do that once in a while and give the body a chance to wake up naturally without buzzing and rushing and all kinds of interference to those healing sleep patterns. At least that's my take.



I made it through the weekend at work which totally surprised me. Friday was difficult but I went outside for fresh air at lunch and during the afternoon break and it was manageable. On Saturday, I worked four hours and on Sunday, five. That was definitely easier. I noticed on Sunday that the air system wasn't blowing nearly as often. That helped too. This week, I have three four hour shifts and the week after I've asked for time off so I only have one eight hour shift which should be quite doable so... we'll see what happens.









What I didn't have this weekend was a lot of sewing time. Just little bits but I did sew together the lining and shape the shoulder pads. I picked them up at the Snip & Stitch in Nanaimo where I take courses with Ron Collins. They are - I believe - imported from Japan and are thin and nicely shaped, much nicer than any other shoulder pad I've bought in the past. To me, they look like they have Warm & Natural batting in the middle although the layers are tapered so there's more toward the shoulder and less toward the neck. Ron taught us how to...









... pull out several layers in the middle to flatten them even more and then stitch across in 1/8-1/4" intervals while pulling the pad into a curve behind the needle. This shapes the shoulder pad to sit better against the body inside the sleeve.



I hadn't intended to add shoulder pads to the jacket until a conversation with Lorraine, my friend who is a couture seamstress and - unfortunately - lives in another town. She commented that it might be more slimming to add shoulder pads to the jacket especially as it looked in the cover photo as if the model was wearing them. I wasn't sure at first however, after pinning them in place, they definitely added something especially to the back armhole which I thought was a still too low. Hopefully, tomorrow the jacket will be done and you'll see what I mean. I'm almost finished.









For the lining, I used the rest of the lime green from my Mother of the Grad dress. There was just enough. The jacket is semi-tailored. Interfacing is added to the facings and upper collar as opposed to the garment body and the lining is sewn right sides together with the garment around the outside edges and turned through the side opening. It's more informal. The pattern - Kwik Sew 3827 - is well drafted and the pieces fit together nicely, as do most Kwik Sew patterns I've sewn.









When I started this project, I wasn't sure if I was going to line the jacket so I serge finished the seam allowances and pressed the seams open. Even with a lining, I think this neatens and lengthens the life of the garment... and it's fun... and I like the way it looks.









The fabric is hard to describe. It's black with a grey overtone as opposed to the blue tone you see in these images. It has an embossed motif and is similar in hand to a medium-weight denim, firm but not stiff. The design reminds me somewhat of table cloths. The selvage had a fabulously frayed edge that I removed first to use in a future project. So many times, the selvage is really quite interesting and it goes to waste. I've learned to check and preserve it first.



This morning - after I wake up and read blogs and eat breakfast - I'm sewing. This afternoon, I have a doctor's appointment to discuss the sudden changes in my allergies. My GP doesn't know anything about allergies or hormone issues however, that's always the place you have to start. I'm assuming he'll order blood work to rule out any other possibilities.



Talk soon - Myrna



Grateful - I made it through the weekend at work health wise and finance wise. There was a big sale. Even the bargain center was half price. I only bought one piece - VBG.

1 comment:

  1. That jacket is going to look very smart. I love the green lining.
    Glad you are getting through work okay

    ReplyDelete