_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 10 August 2011

Missing Person

An envelope came in the mail yesterday from the Operations Branch of the National Search Unit. Apparently, I was a missing person needing to be re-connected with a company representative in order to facilitate the return of funds. I know. It sounds like a scam. Only this time, it was true. I am actually the person they were looking for, I did work for that company, I paid into that pension plan, and that is my money. I have no idea how much it is but once I fill out the forms they are mailing me, a cheque will be on its way. Too fun.









I'm on muslin four of the jacket pattern. The back is multi-pieced. The front has a princess seam from the neckline. I have narrow and tipped shoulders, a petite armhole, and a full bust. It makes for a lot of adjustments in a small area. I started by...









... sewing the pattern as is straight out of the package because the sizing was vastly different then I was used to. My shoulder width was extra-small. Really? I can't remember the last time I was an extra-small. With that muslin, as expected, I pinned a 1" tuck across the front, back, and sleeve cap. Then, I let out the princess seam in the front to see how much of a full bust adjustment I would need and where. And then I tried those changes and some worked and some didn't. I'm having the most difficulty...









... with the position of the bust point and the shape of the armhole. The next two muslins seemed to get further from the truth so for this fourth version, I've gone back to the "original" as much as possible. I retraced the pattern shortened the armhole by 1" on all the pieces, and left a really wide amount of fabric through the front princess seam. I'll sew everything else together first and baste that side front piece in so that I can change only it next time. Before sewing, I'll pin the princess seam and then adjust as necessary to get the right shape and copy the changes to the pattern. That's the theory anyway. Hopefully, this will do it because...









... after that I need to test the sleeves. I've learned - the hard way - that a muslin isn't worth much to me if I don't sew in both sleeves. I can try the garment on sleeveless and it tells me some information but with sleeves tells me way more like do the sleeves twist and is the sleeve hanging straight and does it pull the bodice askew and and and... They're important.









These pictures are from a walk Howard and I took up to Margaret Falls on Sunday afternoon. It's about an hour from our house and then a half hour return walk in to the falls. They're right across from a Provincial campground so the walk-way is designated and maintained. When you get to the falls, they are in a tight basin and the walkway goes over the pool below so the picture above only shows about two thirds of the falls. They're very lovely.









We hadn't been to the falls in years. Lorrie's beautiful pictures and talk about walks with her husband reminded me to stop and enjoy. We used to go here often when the kids were little and we camped. It was fun. A lot of the things we used to do went by the wayside when Howard was so sick. It's time to bring them back in whatever way we can. This was an easy walk. His feet could stand it and my system needed the fresh air. A win win.

This morning, I'm out for breakfast with a friend, then I have to pick up more muslin fabric, then I'm going to tackle and hopefully conquer this muslin. The pattern is Kwik Sew 3827. Yesterday, while working on the fourth draft, I stopped to ask myself how I felt - and it was pretty good. There's a level of frustration but it's the humming kind not the overwhelming kind - the how does that work, puzzling, figure it out sort. I like that. I've always enjoyed puzzles and once I do figure this out, it'll be fun to sew the pattern together. I have learned that deadlines are not good with new patterns though. That leads to the burst into tears kind of frustration. LOL - ask me how I know.



Talk soon - Myrna



Grateful - a love of puzzles, another day of sunshine

4 comments:

  1. It's nice to hear you sound so positive, as you've had a hard go of it lately. The pictures are beautiful, it must have been a lovely walk. Terrific that you were able to get back to something and loved it. I've looked at that pattern and considered it, but I'm small/narrow and it seems like a lot of fabric for me.
    Good luck with your puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For years I wanted a bigger bust. Now that I see what you girls have to go through for your bigger girls, mine seem perfectly sized!

    I love that jacket. I can't wait to see your rendition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all those seams in the back and the foldover collar in front this looks like a fun pattern to sew. Lots of opportunity for detail.

    I'm glad you were able to get out for a walk. I find God's creation a very healing and restorative place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With all the changes you are having to make, I don't feel so bad that my straight-out-of-the-pattern-envelope version is a bit big on me!

    Those photos are lovely. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete