_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 23 August 2011

Continuity And Originality

The comments on yesterday's posting went in an interesting direction. They were more about copying than about the actual question - how original can we really be? My point was not that copying is good or that copying is bad but that copying is inevitable. We cannot pass through life uninfluenced by the world around us and - as we've seen - for all that the world keeps advancing, it also keeps re-cycling. Fashion alone shows us that.



While I want to be unique and original, I'm certainly not setting any trends or living a fashion forward lifestyle. Neither is my house. Or my yard. My car. My career. Or any other area of my life. I am more creative than some, less creative than others - more original than some, less original than others - inspired by some, inspiring to others. That's the circle.



Copying is an age old method of learning. Apprentices learn through copying the skills of the journeymen they work with. When I learn a sewing technique from Marcy or Sandra or Ron or Pati, I am copying the current masters who learned from the masters before them who learned from the masters before them. Each adds to the story as it develops.



When I sew a dress pattern, I'm copying the original even though I'm adding my choices to the outline. If I sew a little black dress, that's not unique. Chanel did it. Did she do it first? Are we all copying her? Possibly - but then again - there were black dresses before Chanel so how original is a black dress? How far back would we need to go to find the first black dress and whose idea was it? I find these thoughts of continuity and originality intriguing.



If I string some beads and make a necklace, it's been done before. If I paint a picture or write a book or knit a sweater or organize my studio or decorate my house or get dressed to go out for the evening - or anything else I might do - I'm doing things that have been done before. I'm copying. Knowing that everything I do has an element of copying to it, I wondered how original can I really be? I think the answer is about trying new to you things and about pushing your limits and not settling for less. I don't know about you but I know when I'm doing less than my best. Life becomes dull and stagnant rather than vibrant and energetic.



There are different ways to push your limits. Those are individual too. Since my return to fashion sewing, I've been taking workshops focused on fit and on re-learning fashion sewing techniques and I have developed those skills further while being influenced by - and copying - what I learned from these instructors. That was exactly what I needed then and now, I'm ready for something different. I just registered for a workshop next summer with Marcy Tilton and Diane Ericson that combines creativity with design with fashion sewing with creativity coaching. That is so my thing and I'm really looking forward to it. However...



... having taken workshops before, I know that when I return my work will be highly influenced by what I learned. It will look like copying until enough time has passed for what I learned from them to stop being instructional and start being inspirational - to merge into me, take on my twists and turns, grow, develop, evolve, and become more my thing than theirs. That's the way the circle goes.



When I moved from traditional quilt making into textile art, I decided to work in isolation for a year. During that time, I didn't read blogs or magazines, take workshops, visit art exhibits, or talk to other artists, and I didn't allow anyone to critique or even comment on my work. I didn't want to be influenced by or care about any one else's opinion or about pleasing them on any level. I wanted to rely solely on what I could develop from within. It was a fabulously stretching year that changed areas of my life I had no idea it was going to touch. It was an experience I am glad to have had and one that I can see repeating again at some point although not right now - right now I'm greatly enjoying the interaction with others who sew.



How creative can you be? What limits are you pushing?



Talk soon - Myrna



Grateful - My son. He's 22 today.

6 comments:

  1. So wisely said! Hats off to you! I am working hard to create space in my life for my creative side that is begging for attention. I am learning to respect opinions of others but to mostly respect my OWN opinion about my creative work. Love your blog. Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been exploring my perceptions about 'originality' and 'creativity'. For a long time I felt that for something to be 'original' and 'creative' it had to be kind of kooky and flashy. And since that's not my style, I thought I couldn't really be original or truly creative. Lately I've really been trying to embrace the idea that when I take an idea and make it real, I am being creative. And no matter how subtle my design choices are, the end results are original - everything we do is filtered through our own skills, perspective and experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting two posts! I've only recently - through sewing - begun to explore my creative side. I don't think there are many new ideas out there, but I think the way that each person perceives is different so that there are endless possibilities and variations within the same concept.

    What's funny is that I've begun sewing a dress and am making it in the same color as on the pattern envelope. Incredibly unoriginal and uncreative, but red feels right for this dress. That said, the number of new techniques that I am working on for this one dress is really expanding my sewing repertoire. So, I don't feel uncreative on this project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's posts like that last two that make me keep returning to read your musings! Food for thought. Thank you.
    JoyceP in WI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thank you. It's so easy to get discouraged, so hard to stay positive. I'm humbled by all of you artists and creative souls out there. I'm so grateful.
    Sharon Brooks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think pushing ones limits can at times be very painful so it is not something that is easily done if you are in a stressful time of your life. That is when copying (using a tnt pattern creatively design by somebody) is good for you because you know it fits and once you get into the sewing of that I often find that I suddenly feel like putting something quirky into it somewhere - it may just be on the inside and never seen by anybody than me but I know it is there and can make me smile when I wear the garment or it can be a flamboyant button.
    Right now I am sewing tnt patterns but I am pushing my limits in my drawings for digitising. A nice balance at this moment in my life.

    ReplyDelete