_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 12 August 2011

Vogue: The Enablers

Did you notice that Vogue is having another $4.99 sale this weekend? I now think of them as Vogue: The Enablers after all, they just had a sale last weekend. I ordered four patterns and when they arrived on Monday morning I was totally astonished. Typically, my order takes 21-28 days. Hmm... yes... well... actually... the order that arrived on Monday was so old that I'd completely forgotten about it. So forgotten about it that I ordered two of the patterns again. I guess I really liked them - LOL. Here's what I ordered...









Vogue 8485 - this one is totally Elizabeth's fault. She's sewn two pairs and they both look fabulous and I am in need of pants especially ones with fluctuating waistbands.









Vogue 8379 - I saw this on a blog somewhere and it was so pretty and seemed like such a versatile pattern that there was no reason not to add it to my already extensive stash of dresses that I never sew anyway. I've sewn about three dresses in the last two years. I've bought about twenty dress patterns. The ratio doesn't compute.









Vogue 8756 - I love the fitted shoulders and draped front of this jacket. In fact, I love it so much that this is the pattern I've ordered twice and I have three copies because I bought one size for the jacket and one size for the pants. They're basic, nicely fitted, straight leg, practical pants.









Vogue 8743 - Another dress. I have several dress patterns like this one BUT... they didn't come with the cup sizes and that is so much easier than trying to figure it out myself. Not that I can't. I can. But this gets me to the fun faster.









Vogue 8747 - bought for the same reason, the cup sizes. And the pretty gathers. And the shirt tail hemline. And the collar opening. Just a really nice pattern.









I've read on several blogs where the writer thinks they are the last person to the Vogue 1250 party. Since I hadn't even ordered the pattern yet, I just may win that award cause who knows when I'm actually going to sew it but... apparently... this looks good on everyone which made me think ME TOO although it's another dress. See ratio above.









Vogue 1236 - my plan was to sew this for the summer heat. That would be the heat that hasn't arrived. It's been nice for the last few days but nothing sustained like we're used to enjoying. I have a feeling the dress is on hold until next year now but then again, I may have a lot of sewing time in the next month and we may have an extended summer and this looks like a quick sew. I can hope.









Vogue 1254 - I loved the lines on this dress. It's just so beautiful I had to have it for my Mother of the Groom collection. Neither of my boys is engaged. Neither is even dating anyone. Both are too young to even consider getting married IMHO however, I have about twenty dresses in my MOG collection already. I even have some potential yardage. I definitely won't be caught unawares when the time comes.









V8724 - cup sizes again. They'll get me every time. I think adding cup sizes is one of the best decision pattern companies have made in the last few years AND... it's another summer heat dress for my hopeful collection.









Vogue 8750 - After the A-line that felt frumpy, I saw this pattern and liked the lines of the longer images. I think that skirt would have looked better longer so I might give it another try. If not, I like the slim version as well.







Now that they're so reasonably priced, I own more Vogue patterns than any other pattern line. I like the fit of Burda the best. If they'd make it easier for me to buy with frequent sales, I'd be a big customer. The others I buy intermittently. This McCall's 6361 pattern is designed by Palmer/Pletsch. Their patterns always come with great instructions and fitting tips. I think the top right skirt lengthened would make a great jean skirt for fall, the shorts are the right length if I was ever to wear shorts, and I'm interested in the pant sewing tips. It's an educational purchase.



And... while I'm confessing... I seemed to have had a wee small panic attack last weekend about the end of my job and therefore the end of paycheques. I went on an on-line shopping spree. I ordered some more glasses from ZenniOptical.com which I'm telling myself I would have had to order anyway. I ordered a case of table paper for tracing patterns when yes, a few rolls might have done the job but it was cheaper by the case and I'm telling myself I would have bought them eventually anyway. I ordered the patterns above. Other people buy magazines. I buy patterns. It's cheap therapy, entertainment, whatever you want to call it so no excuses here. AND... I put in an order to the wholesaler for pins, needles, hot iron cleaner, black Metler thread, Gingher shears, and a few other things. Just in case. Cause I'll use them anyway. Right - VBG.



Progress has been made on the jacket. It should be ready to show you next week. I like how it's looking so far although next time I'd raise the armhole some more. It's lower than normal which creates some sticky outy parts at the back. Oh well. It's vastly improved... and looking good.



This morning, I'm off to work, supposedly for an eight hour shift. I'm apprehensive about how it's going to go BUT... it'll go the way it goes and there's not much I can do about it. I'll be surprised if I make lunch. If that's the case, today will be my last day. I'm not willing to take that risk much longer. Update on Monday.



Talk soon - Myrna



Grateful - the health that I do have - things could be a lot worse

7 comments:

  1. I love your choices - I have almost all of them on my wish list (pesky family - demanding to be fed several times a day. Where an I going to get pattern money if they keep that up!)
    Which patterns did you end up buying the duplicates of?
    I usually end up buying patterns on sale at Fabricland (in Ontario) - but it doesn't look they have any pattern sales at all this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you made me smile, especially with your MOG collection (complete with fabric yardage, no less).
    Great choices in patterns, I like your dress choices, but I too am more into separates.
    Hope the shift goes well, have a good weekend,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me smile. I have way more Vogue patterns than I would have had too if it weren't for the frequent sales at Club BMV. I've also stashed V1236 for next summer...even tho' it has been hot as the dickens here this summer...I'm already thinking transisitional sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sales are dangerous. FYI, I've made both 8485 and 8747 and I don't love either of them (not that they aren't good - just that the patterns were kind of finicky in their own ways. BTW, don't do facings on the wrap dress if you can possibly avoid it. They just don't work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ordered (and received) the 1250 pattern. I've seen it on various blogs and everyone looks good in it.

    And I love the lines on the 1254 - a perfect MOG dress! Or a party dress.

    I hope today goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think our pattern collections are very similar. I've made three of those and own all but two. I got 8747 at the last Vogue sale and it's on my short list. I totally agree with you about the cup sizes. I buy them even if I'm meh about the style. It's so much easier than fussing with the FBA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admit, that the Vogue 3.99 and 4.99 sales have definitely caused an infusion of Vogue patterns into my stash. I can't say I like Burda better, but then I buy the magazine not individual patterns. I most heartily agree, this is cheaper than therapy. Besides it makes you feel good. Therapy, at least initially, makes you feel worse.

    ReplyDelete