_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 8 August 2011

Resigned

On the weekend, I watched Nancy Nix Rice's DVD Looking Good. It's interesting although not nearly as informative as the book which is one of my all time favourites. It would be fun to work with an image consultant just to see what they said but it's not something I'm likely to do any time soon. I'm not sure there even is one living in town never mind someone good at what they do.



One comment Nancy makes in the video that clearly resonated with me was that short, pegged skirts are often more flattering on a pear shaped body than the more commonly recommended A-line. While wide legged, trouser style, pants are far more flattering on my figure type than anything straight or skinny, I always feel frumpy in A-line skirts unless they are significantly longer and very soft. I know that's not true for everyone which is why...









... I occasionally try another version - like Vogue 2925. As mentioned Friday, I extend the invisible zipper up through the waistband and eliminate the button closure. IMHO this looks so much neater and it's easy to do.









I also mentioned that I finish the front and back separately before sewing the side seam to allow for fitting and waist/weight fluctuation. Above, you can see how that looks as well as the inside of the skirt. With the satin side of the crepe back satin toward the inside, there's no need for a lining. It's already silky smooth.









That silky smooth feeling and the fabulous swish when you move about are the best things about the skirt. Otherwise, it doesn't flatter me much although - to be fair - it's not hemmed and I'm not wearing hose or shoes which would make a difference. Even so, when I look at the picture, the skirt looks widening while...









... my all time favourite style - Burda 8213 - is flattering. It has the same coming in at the knees shape of a short pegged skirt with the addition of the flared bottom. This is my most used pattern because this skirt makes me feel fabulous only I'm getting bored sewing it which is why I've decided to try Burda 8407 below.





This pattern has the same outside shape with more interior design lines that would be fun to explore with texture, pattern, or color. The zipper is in the side seam which I normally dislike however, the dart and the front seam will provide fitting opportunities so I should be able to make it work. I regretted using up the black crepe back satin on a skirt that feels frumpy so Sunday, when we took Kyle back to work, I stopped at the Fabricland in Salmon Arm and purchased more - possibly for this Burda project once I test the pattern on another fabric from stash.



I sewed a beautiful dark grey skirt on the weekend that I'll tell you about tomorrow. It goes wonderfully with the print blouse from a few weeks ago and provides a good start for a 6-pac which means that mine will most likely be grey and black. The 6-pac is a Stitcher's Guild project designed to make a small, interchangeable wardrobe of quality, useful basics. You can read about it in the first posting on this topic.



THANK YOU for the support and comments over the weekend regarding my allergies. I've had various allergies most of my life, including allergies to scents, however they've gotten significantly worse since starting peri-menopause. My hope is ending it will solve the problem however, in the middle, it's an interesting and not very fun journey.



Yesterday, at Fabricland, the washroom had an air freshener which immediately gave me a headache. After that, the fabric smells weren't too bad but when I looked at the new pattern catalogues, the print fumes were intense. I felt like I was going to pass out. By the time I got back to the car, I was feeling so sick and off balance that I burst into tears. My poor husband. He doesn't know what to say or do. As you can imagine...



... I've done a lot of reading and research and have tried numerous things which has been frustrating since my symptoms have only worsened. It's also been expensive. Knowing that I need something sustainable both emotionally and financially, this past weekend I started following a protocol from the Environmental Health Center Dallas where my husband was a patient numerous years ago while dealing with environmental poisoning. All of the patients, no matter what condition they were there for, followed the same basic protocol which was healthy food with no preservatives, lots of clean water, high doses of vitamin C, exercise to get your heart rate up, and sauna to move toxins out of the system. I'll need to make some changes to make this work, one of which is...



... resigning from my job. I'm obviously developing an allergy to the fabric finishes and I'm not willing to lose my ability to sew for any reason but especially not for a minimum wage job. I'll hand my resignation in later today when I go to work. Unless I'm offered another position or my situation worsens significantly, I've given a month's notice to help out with staff shortages and holidays. That's the best I can do. I've really enjoyed working outside the home and am looking for another position, this time a Monday to Friday office job, preferably part time. I have heard that I will be getting an interview at one company when they are next hiring. Since I really want to work there, I'm praying that happens soon - LOL. We'll see.



Talk soon - Myrna



Grateful - feeling less stressed now that I've made the decision to resign and hopeful that God will provide

15 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear you will be leaving your job at Fabricland but your health comes first. I do hope you get another job soon. In the meantime, take care of yourself. Being healthy is a priority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that you are getting bored with sewing a skirt that makes you feel fabulous.
    I think I'm more of a product (vs. process) person. Looking and feeling fabulous is the goal of my sewing efforts. Boredom with the process doesn't even register.

    Good for you for quitting a job that makes you feel unwell. Fingers crossed you get the job you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing what you know is best for your body. That's what's most important.

    I made that Burda skirt a few years ago and loved it. In one version I made it from a dark red fabric printed with charcoal flowers (sounds weird) and then made the IV section from plain black fabric. It was quite striking. I wore it a lot but it's gone now - stained from something or other. Maybe it's time to make another one.

    I'll be praying for the office position.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Myrna, I have been following your journey for a few months and can almost feel your frustration. I have also been dealing with allergy issues since middle age, while certainly not as severe as yours. I am absolutely sure that your resignation with be a great loss to this shop. You have so much to offer in this area, they will miss you. I also suspect that a new opportunity will present itself because you remain a positive person in spite of these issues.

    Now, lets talk about that skirt. I do not think it is unflattering. I think (and I am no expert, but) that if you make a top in the same fabric it will create a solid line of color that will balance your figure. With or without a belt, it will make a very professional and stylish combination. A simple neckline would provide a great showcase for some of your great jewelry.

    Now, about that fashion consultant, what about you? Have you considered making this your project? A little market research in your area may be in order. I am not sure what qualifications are required, but you sure have the eye and passion for fashion. There are also on-line consultants who run an entire business from their websites and schedule one-on-one appointments as well. Well fitting clothes in affordable price ranges with stylish options are on everyone's to do list. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry about the allergies, Myrna. And the job.

    Interesting about the skirts. That black one is fabulous on you! It reminds me of that purple one that looked so great on you. I can't wait to see how the new Burda one turns out.

    Good luck with the job hunt! And more importantly, with the health issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Myrna,
    I read your blog everyday. Something that helped me with sensitivity to those odors was supplementing with pantothenic acid, a B vitamin.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've suffered with horrendous allergies my whole life. As a child, I reacted to molds so strongly that my mother, a retired nurse, kept adrenaline in the house for use during thunderstorms. I was hospitalized with asthma at least once. In addition, I have many, many food allergies and react to just about everything in my environment(s).

    You learn to live with it. I take loratadine 10 mg every morning, use Advair, and use fluticasone. My eyes no longer swell shut from goldenrod in September since I don't have it in my environment now. I avoid the foods I react to most strongly, but I have so many allergies that I can't even do a rotation diet! As I said, you learn to deal with it because you simply cannot avoid every allergen.

    I also feel tremendously better when I take SAM-e. In addition to the severe allergies, I have fibromyalgia, arthritis, and numerous other orthopedic challenges. As I said, you learn to live with pain, etc.

    Gail D.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Myrna, two things I forgot. Of course God will provide. There is absolutely abundance in the universe. After my last two years without an income, I should know! Most of us are very, very blessed.

    Also, Alka-Seltzer Gold is just wonderful for reactions to food. It's a lot more difficult to find these days than it used to be, but I'm pretty sure it's still available.

    Gail D.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I second corrines comment about the skirt - well worth a try. Good luck with your future employMENT - I BOUGHT some fabric once that smelt like petroleum - I washed it several times and soaked it and the smell would not go away - it was terrible so I got rid of it even though the fabric was unique .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Myrna,

    A difficult decision to leave,but it is the best one for you. You cannot continue to work in a toxic environment. I applaud your decision.

    I empathise with your situation with allergies.It is frustrating to be so limited with food and safe environment.

    I am currently seeing a medical ecologist to help with an immune problem. the limitation of foodstuffs is at times overwhelming....an it does make you grumpy and frustrated (well that is how it is affecting me)

    Love and hugs across the miles,

    Anna K

    ReplyDelete
  11. You will find another job that is better for your health. You're an articulate, intelligent woman with much to offer some lucky company. I like the "Looking Good" book, and have owned it for many years. Although the styles become dated, the advice doesn't. Another, "Flatter Your Figure" by Jan Larkey, is an old book, but very, very good about proportions. This book is running around $7.00 from the used booksellers at Amazon.com. Definitely worth the money. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good on you for making a decision that will benefit your health and thus your happiness. And of course God will provide! He is Awesome.

    I love that black Burda Skirt on you and it does seem a lot more flattering than the A line skirt.

    Perhaps you are not really a pear shape? Imogen Lamport, and Australian image consultant of Inside Out Style blog has a great series of posts about body shapes and flattering styles. I've found them most helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so with you on the A-line, and while your TNT pattern always looks great, have you considered making a pencil skirt? I've had great luck with those lately, especially when they're constructed so they fit closely at the widest part of my hips and then drop straight down from there. Another surprising find has been golf skorts, of all things...they look terrific on pear figures. I've found several of those lately that are dressy enough to wear as regular skirts. I bet either of those styles would look lovely on you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Myrna I think that skirt is down right flattering. It looks so smooth. I've only been following you a short time. Your work is beautiful. sewforreal-mamafiore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. M: I've been away and didn't read about your resignation until now. I'm sorry that the job is not good for your body, but I'm sure you will find another one very soon. One that works better for you in all ways...

    ReplyDelete