_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 3 August 2011

Calgary To Kamloops


When I called my daughter late Monday afternoon to let her know that we'd arrived back home safely, she wanted us to come back. That's about the perfect length of visit, when they're sorry to see you go rather than thanking God you've finally gone.




From my daughter's house in Calgary to our house in Kamloops is 632 kilometers or 391 miles. According to mapquest.com, it'll take 7 hours 38 minutes. Obviously, they don't factor in breakfast, lunch, coffee, potty, and construction breaks. It usually takes us a couple hours more. Calgary is close but not close enough to visit often, especially as we all work. Now that I'm back at a traditional job, I can see that work certainly gets in the way of things that are far more important - like family. Unfortunately, work is also a necessity.




All of the images in this posting were taken on the drive back - through the car windshield. In the last few, you can see Mount Peter and Mount Paul which are signature landmarks in Kamloops. The last one shows the view of those mountains from my studio. I was intrigued by the immense changes in scenery from the farmlands near Calgary to the Rocky mountains to the more lush areas between and then the semi-desert area where we live.




A hundred years ago, if your child announced they were going west or moving back east or merely shifting over one province as mine has done, in all likelihood you would have never seen them again. Back then, the distance was immense - the journey dangerous. How difficult that must have been as a parent. Not good news. It would have been hard to support your child's dream while wanting to keep them close.




I'm thankful that my daughter and son-in-law have jobs they enjoy. They are doing tremendously well only I really wish they lived a lot closer to us just as they wish we'd move a lot closer to them only...




... you can't follow your children. I have three. What if they move to three completely different locations? There's no way I can be in three places at one time. The only thing I can do is visit as often as possible and as I said earlier, those jobs get in the way. Since ours are likely to end before theirs, travelling to visit our children will be a significant part of our retirement.




When we arrived home, my oldest son said that his plans had changed. One of his room mates will not be moving to Kamloops after all and so moving out is on hold for now. Since I came back with things for his new apartment, that was a bit funny although not something I was sad to hear - especially as I was already sad driving away from my daughter. I'm happy to keep him a while longer.




We talk to our daughter and son-in-law on the phone often so there wasn't a lot of catching up to do. Instead, we got as many hugs as possible, saw their new home, looked around Calgary, shopped, and visited in person. On Friday, we took the C-train downtown to visit our daughter's office and then drove over to see our son-in-law's. They both work in great locations. Jessica's is a converted heritage building, an old schoolhouse, and Kyle's is a modern office structure.




One of my favourite stores in Calgary is Chintz & Company which Jessica had never been to. We went on Sunday after church. There are three floors crammed wall to wall. Even so, I didn't see anything that I couldn't live without although there were some possibilities for upholstery fabric when I get around to recovering the love seats in our family room. That won't be any time soon. I did buy a few things that I'll tell you about tomorrow.




Calgary is a huge city with a population of just over a million people. It's a repeat city. By that, I mean that area to area it all looks the same. You drive along and see the same stores over and over again - the same stores that we have in Kamloops - the same stores that are repeated all across North America.




We've become so homogenized. Shopping in Calgary is not much different than shopping in Kamloops - just bigger - and I get to do it with my daughter - which was fun - but not exciting product wise.




Years ago, when I took courses at That Patchwork Place University, I would drive down the I5 toward Seattle, Washington, USA and stop at Pier I Imports. Back then, it was the most amazing store. Now, there's a Pier I in Kamloops and it's just like the numerous ones in Calgary which are just like all of them everywhere. Now, I find that boring. It's the same with dress shops.




Once again, I'm so glad that I sew. When I see the same clothes in Kamloops as I see in Calgary and going to the "big" city doesn't really mean that much at least I know that I can sew a different version... in my fabric choices... in my color choices... with my style. Thank God.




I worked eight hours yesterday. It's a bit slower now that it's summer time - LOL - although that's summer without our usual sunshine. The fall fabrics are starting to come in. So far I haven't seen anything that really appeals to me. This may be good. I have a lot already. I'm not working again until Thursday night so...




... I have a couple days to settle back home. The house was clean but not my kind of clean when we got back. That's pretty good for young adult males. I'm fine with ignoring it for a while. This morning, I'm driving one friend to the airport and then having lunch with another. Later this afternoon, I'll look at what I might want to sew next. I need to give some attention to the fall 6-pack thread on Stitcher's Guild. I plan to participate but haven't got much further than the thought.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - safe travel, hugs

5 comments:

  1. Oh, what a lovely drive! Thank you for posting the photos. Roads in my part of NC are lined with or overhung with trees. It's like driving through green tunnels. Lovely, but no views. You are lucky that your children live relatively close, and that they still want to see you. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, Myrna! Glad you enjoyed your time with family. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos! Glad you had such a fabulous time!!!!

    Kind of nice that your son isn't moving out right away...that you get to keep him a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home! The drive through the mountains and the varying landscapes of BC's interior is so pretty. I love it that Tim drives so I can just relax and admire.

    I'm really disliking the thought of fall already. I feel like we've barely begun summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both BC and AB are beautiful provinces. I recognized some of the scenery on your pics as we have driven from AB to BC many times. It is a blessing when one can sew as most cities now have the same stores.Years ago I loved to go to larger places just to shop and now I frequent more fabric stores when I travel rather than clothing stores. Glad you enjoyed your trip. My son and family are close to us and for that I am grateful.
    Happy sewing
    Donna Wicks

    ReplyDelete