_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 16 August 2011

One Black Button... Or Two?

I have an extensive stash... of all kinds of things... including buttons. It seemed entirely reasonable to me to expect that somewhere in those many jars would be one useful button just right for this jacket. After all, I only needed one and yet...









... none was exactly right. The closest to being acceptable is the button third from the left, top row, just above the swirly one. It might work. I'm not sure especially because I'm now wondering one black button... or two? You'll see why in a minute.









I stitched the lining to the garment along the bottom, clipped, pressed toward the lining, and edge stitched to make sure the garment rolled to the wrong side and the lime of the lining wasn't visible from the front. Technically, that should have made the lining slightly longer than the jacket which would have been perfect except that...









... in this finished image, it looks the opposite - as if the lining is too short and is pulling the garment upward. Closed in the front and on me, it's not quite so obvious. The jacket is wearable although next time, I'll make some adjustments so this doesn't happen again.









See the dotted lines on the front panels in the illustration? That's center front. The instructions clearly say to overlap center front for the button placement. Doing so makes the finished garment look like...









... the brown line drawing below rather than the red model garment above on the pattern envelope. I liked that V shape of the hemline on the model garment only it's missing on mine. When I...









... cross the fronts, the hemline is continuous which makes me think that there should be two buttons - like a double breasted front - otherwise the one button looks like it's been accidentally placed too far to my left. In real life, how far over the button is placed is more substantial than the drawing - like the button placement on the model garment without the hemline advantages. What do you think? One button or two?



FYI - those are pins holding the front together in the photo and I've inserted shoulder pads even though they're not mentioned in the instructions. Don't you think the model looks like she's wearing shoulder pads?



I'm out for breakfast with a friend this morning and then we're heading off to Armstrong, back to the bulk food store that I mentioned a month ago. The prices were so good that we've decided to go back and stock up some more. In particular, I'll check out the spices as I knew the prices were low but didn't know enough to compare. I still don't. This time, I'll just trust that they're a good deal and stock up on what I commonly use.



Talk soon - Myrna



Grateful - hope

6 comments:

  1. I want to see what the garment will look like when constructed as per the pattern company's draft and instructions. I get really annoyed when I run into this type discrepancy. Obviously they've tweaked something for the photo shoot, but you've no clue until you can't get your garment to look like their's. I'm no help, but I do offer moral outrage and support. I think you should get a refund of the total pattern and fabric cost based on their false advertising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently the internet ate my earlier comment, so here goes a second try: I think you could go with one button or two, but would go with two if you want to anchor the angle of the hem. Your stash of buttons gives me an idea though...have you considered making fabric statement necklaces with things from your stash plus your art textile skills? It seems like that's something that would match your personal style, and could be a good outlet for your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I would rather see three buttons, instead of two. Three feels more balanced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was annoyed about the lack of the V on the real thing too with this jacket. I get the V when I stand with my chest back and both hands on hips. In other words, not very often!

    I went for one button (plus an internal one) for my version and then another one on the collar. The collar one lets me button up to get a pseudo funnel neck look and also adds interest unbuttoned when I wear the jacket with one side of the collar turned back and the other one left up (I like asymmetry!).

    I did wonder about two horizontal buttons on the jacket itself, and might still add one on the top of my internal one.

    Perhaps you just need to try it with and without?

    It's looking very nice and I think the shoulder pads are an excellent addition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for one button. Perhaps sew on just one button, wear it for a while and see if it feels odd or normal to you. If you haven't already, check Pattern Review to see if others have commented on this jacket.

    The shoulder pads are a good idea, and I agree that it appears the model is wearing some as well. This probably happens more often than we realize.

    Please show us a photo of you wearing the jacket once you finish it.
    Thanks,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you, I prefer the version with the inverted V at the hemline... it does provide a much more interesting silhouette.
    And thankyou so much again for your terrific idea... I'll definitely be doing that one some time again!

    ReplyDelete