_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 17 August 2011

No Perky Plaid Pants For Me

On her blog yesterday, Carolyn of Handmade by Carolyn showed fourteen versions - with number fifteen currently under construction - of Burda 7767, a men's shirt pattern. Carolyn always lists the pattern used at the bottom of each posting and I had noticed that they were repeated quite often with a wide variety of interpretations and thought the many ways in which I interpreted pattern X would be a fun posting so I asked for it and it was - fun, inspiring, encouraging, motivating. I'm so thankful Carolyn followed up on my request and hope she'll put together more of these postings. If you haven't seen it already, take a look.









When I'm reading blogs, I enjoy seeing which fabric the writer bought and the patterns they plan to pair with it and later - hopefully - the results they achieved whether those results are successful or less than. It's always a learning opportunity.



I bought the two fabrics above yesterday. The one on the left is a soft, light weight knit with good recovery. The one of the right is a medium-weight stretch cotton... I think. I have no idea what the content actually is. I shop almost exclusively by feel often without checking the content or the care instructions which makes me not very good at the name that fabric game. I either like it or I don't and...



... I don't really care what the fabric is if it feels right, looks right, and drapes right plus everything I buy goes through a hot wash and a hot dry - twice - and if it doesn't survive that, I'm not interested in sewing with it. That sounds rough but it's actually rare that a fabric doesn't survive the prep stage. Many people keep records of their fabrics. Maybe I should - but I don't - possibly because...









... a lot of what I buy is from the bargain section where the content labels have been ripped off and replaced with an "as is" sticker - like the fabric above. It's a lighter weight twill or denim of some kind with a soft stripe. This is the piece I bought during the sale last weekend at $2.50 a meter. For $7.56, there is enough for a pair of pants like...









... Burda 7400. I can't remember who recommended this "fluctuating waist" pattern but I really appreciated it. The style has a Marcy Tilton overtone. The ribbed waistband is 3" high with elastic in the bottom portion. It's the elastic that holds the waist. That much ribbing is probably too much for me as I'm short waisted and my waistband is already up under my ribs. I'm often attracted to high waisted styles but they rarely look good on me. Notice how fun and perky those plaid pants look on the model in the 7400 pattern and then...











... how fattening they look paired with the blue, short sleeved jacket in Burda 7401. That lack of waist definition and that broad stripe across the hips is not doing anything for her (or the jacket pattern) just as it does nothing for me. Something to keep in mind. No perky plaid pants for me.



I bought the Burda 7401 pattern when it first came out because I liked the jacket shown bottom right. A few weeks ago, when I was at the Fabricland in Salmon Arm, they had the pattern made up and on display. I asked if I could try the sample on, they said yes, and even though it was several sizes too big the look was still flattering. It's so nice when you can try before you sew - VBG.









I also bought this cardigan yesterday. This is one of the few times when a garment looks much better on me than on Millicent - I hope - because she looks rather fat and frumpy. We'll see. I'll take a few pictures of me wearing it and if I don't like the look, it's going back. If I do keep it, I'll add elastic through the back to pull it in more.



My friend and I went out for breakfast yesterday, then to the bulk food store in Armstrong, then out for lunch and shopping in Vernon, and got back home around dinner. It was a fun day - however - after a day of playing, there are a few chores to do around the house this morning. After that, I'll sew something only I have no idea what.



The last three pieces I've sewn are part of the Autumn 6-pac. So far, I have a black jacket, a grey skirt, and the black/grey/white blouse sewn end of July that I'm allowed to sneak in. The very loosely written "rules" call for one jacket, one bottom (skirt or pants), two underlayer tops, two overlayer tops, and possibly one more bottom. I'm thinking about a black cardigan. I want my pieces to be primarily neutral so I can add color in the accessories, tops, or cardigans to widen the possibilities.



Talk soon - Myrna



Grateful - a fun day with a friend


3 comments:

  1. Interesting comparison on the plaid pants. I wonder though if they wouldn't have looked good with a long jacket instead of the short one? I've come to believe that styling can fix a lot. Just not everything

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made that pants pattern several times. (Maybe you've seen it on my blog.) It's a great pattern.

    What a cute cardigan. I own 7401 also. A sewist tried to make it but had some real problems. - she posted to Stitcher's Guild some of her issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myrna, I keep seeing "VBG" in your blogs and don't know what it means? Would you please translate it? Thx.

    Gail D.

    ReplyDelete