_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 5 August 2011

Not. Much. Fun.

At first, I didn't think I had enough of the crepe back satin to cut out the Vogue 2925 skirt but after a while of turning and trying I was able to get the back and the four side pieces on the crosswise grain and the front piece on the lengthwise grain. Luckily, with this fabric, that isn't a problem. You can't tell when the pieces are sewn together.

I stitched and then serged the curved seams. The stitching went fine. The serging pulled little lines like stretch marks. Luckily, they're not visible with all the folds in the garment. It took me three seams to finally conclude that I needed to change the already new needles in the serger. I'm not sure what's up with that but the last seam had no pulls so it was the right choice.

The front and back pieces are together and ready for the side seams. I've decided to add a straight waistband since that sits better on my figure than a faced garment. The front and back will be waistbanded separately before sewing up the side seams allowing me to adjust for my fluctuating waist/weight without having to sew an entirely new garment. I'm also adding the waistband to the two back pieces before inserting the invisible zipper so that the zipper will come right to the top. It's neater and easier than a zipper and a fastener.

Because of the bias side pieces, the skirt will need to hang on Millicent (my dressform) for a day or so before it's hemmed. I'm hoping to finish it up later today and let it hang until Sunday or Tuesday - I work Monday - depending on when I can get someone to help me pin the hem.




Before we left on our trip last week, I finished the Marcy Tilton - Vogue 8499 - skirt. It's a really easy sew. The bottoms are hemmed first and after that it's all straight lines. I did insert the zipper as per the instructions only it wasn't necessary. I can slip the skirt on with it closed. Next time, I'll eliminate that step. The skirt is half of my current project at work so I delivered it and the black linen blouse on Wednesday afternoon without taking a picture on me although I did...




... get one of the skirt on Millicent. The fabric is a lot of fun. I like the visual texture and movement in the print. It's perhaps ever so slightly too heavy although I'm not quite sure. Definitely a couple of washes would soften it up and that might be all that's needed although it does work as is.

While I was sewing the skirt, I kept reacting to it. I'm not sure if it's working in a fabric store or what is going on but I've been having a LOT of allergy issues lately - smells in particular. Even though I'd prewashed the fabric, it still seemed to be giving off something irritating. You can imagine how upsetting that was. I have no idea how I'd cope if sewing became impossible as well. If you're in a praying frame of mind, I'd appreciate a few. All these allergies are starting to overwhelm me. Not. Much. Fun.

This morning, I'm going out for breakfast with Kyle and then helping him get ready for another three weeks working at camp. After that, I plan to sew... and tomorrow... and Sunday too. I'm scheduled to work eight hours Monday and want to have a few things finished up by then.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - time with my son even if I have to pay for it - LOL

6 comments:

  1. Myrna,
    Consider yourself on my prayer list.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for you from where I live, too. Thanks for showing the finished Marcy Tilton skirt! I've made the long pants from this pattern, and I must have chosen a fabric that was too heavy, too. Had to keep hitching them up or else I'd have walked right out of them. Will add a waistband the next time I make them, and will go down a size from my usual -- these are REALLY voluminous garments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry, Myrna, that something in the fabric is giving your symptoms. Hopefully it's just an isolated thing. Praying the Lord will give you wisdom and healing.

    I'm very sensitive to my environment. Only recently have I learned about "Multiple Chemical Sensitivity". Not sure what I'll do with what I'm learning, but it helps to understand somewhat why I get headaches/migraines from some smells & chemicals. Google it when you have time and see if it's helpful. We sure live in a poluted era.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the skirt and I'm never drawn to the Narcy Tilton style designs. The print really makes it. Oh but allergic to fabric?? That cannot be. My heart hurts thinking about it. I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Formaldehyde is used in fabric finishes. Due to my allergies, I need to launder fabric immediately after bringing it home or leave it in the garage to air out until it no longer has an odor.

    If a fabric store has recently received a lot of new fabrics, I am unable to stay there very long. The odor is overwhelming, and my normally under-control asthma kicks in. Then I get a really bad headache. The same thing happens at home if I bring in a new fabric which has a strong odor.

    The advantage of on-line fabric shopping is that a lot of the smell has dissipated by the time it gets to you. That's my excuse, at least.

    Unfortunately, for the chemically sensitive I think avoidance of the irritant is the best solution. My theory is that if it hurts to breathe something, it is causing damage internally. I have also noticed that it seems as if sewers have a higher percentage of chemical sensitivity problems than the "normal" population, and I sometimes wonder if it is our increased exposure to the fabric-finishing chemicals which has contributed to this. Just a thought, and I don't have the answer.

    Good luck, and my prayers are with you.

    Linda in TN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Myrna your health has to be protected. I don't want to make it worse but your allergies will quite likely continue to escalate if you continue to work at Fabricland. Some fabric stores I go into do not bother me but others do. If you continue to damage your immune system by being in an environment where there are so many chemicals put into the product that you can smell them upon entering the store then other allergies may develop. I hope not for your sake. You might not even be able to tolerate going into any Fabric stores in the future and that would be terrible for you because you like to sew. I cannot buy anything that has to be dry cleaned because I get a terrible headache and am sick if I do.
    I do hope that you can conquer this present setback because you have been much happier since you started to work and in a field where you can help so many other people.
    Stores stopped tearing fabric because so many workers were getting sick from the fumes being released.
    Take care, Myrna

    ReplyDelete