_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 11 August 2011

You Will Have Far Faster Sewing Success IF...

If you've read my blog for any length of time, you know how amazingly talented I am at significantly complicating any given situation by over thinking the obvious. That said, I'll skip the long story and the unflattering photos of ill-fitting muslins and get right to the moral. You will have far faster sewing success IF...









... you start by cutting out the right size. I know. Obvious. What was I thinking? Extra-small? Who? Me? After muslin number four still didn't fit and I was even further from the truth, I began to wonder how the bust point would have matched if I had cut out the size that corresponded with my bust measurement. That (oh so obvious) ah ha moment led to laying my wonderfully fitting blouse pattern against the medium size and guess what? The shoulder length of the extra-small and the medium are virtually the same so - having zigged when I should have zagged - I cut out ...









... the medium, sewed it straight out of the envelope minus the 1" petite adjustment through the armhole, and it fits quite wonderfully. There's just a little bit of tweaking with the length and some work on the sleeve for my rounded shoulder and that's it.



sewingelle wrote - With all the changes you are having to make, I don't feel so bad that my straight out of the pattern envelope version is a bit big on me!



LOL - what can I say. I'm slow but I get there. Perhaps that's why Kwik Sew wrote that warning on the pattern. Too fun.









I worked a bit on the sleeve last night and hope to perfect it today and start on the real thing. After all this time muslining, I haven't even thought about which fabric I'll use so that decision is next - something to go with my undefined 6-pac plan.



sdBev wrote - For years I wanted a bigger bust. Now that I see what you girls have to go through for your bigger girls, mine seem perfectly sized!



Hear, hear!!!! My D cup is a gift of menopause. I still haven't figured out how to work with it as I was a B for most of my life which is definitely MUCH easier to fit however, in this case, once I cut on the right size, I didn't need an FBA for this jacket. Go figure.









After breakfast with my friend yesterday, I went out to work to pick up more broadcloth for muslins. I was already feeling off due to all the perfumes in the restaurant and after half an hour in the store, I could barely stand up straight and had to leave. I have a feeling I'll show up at 9:30 tomorrow for my eight hour shift and be leaving at 10:00. It may be my last day. It's just not worth it although... I did finally figure out what changed... for what it's worth. About three weeks ago, they "fixed" the air filtration system and now it circulates properly. In my world, that's "broken" but it gives me hope that I might recover once I'm out of that environment. I hope so.



Jodie wrote - It's nice to hear you sound so positive, as you've had a hard go of it lately.



There's no choice. What is, is. I would be less than honest if I didn't say I'm frustrated and angry and worried about the potential to become completely isolated BUT... I need to move along because dwelling on the negative is not going to get me anywhere.



Working outside the home has been so positive for me that I know I will really miss it especially getting dressed up, having co-workers to talk to, and helping customers with their projects. I'm not sure how long it will be before my next job so I've been thinking about how to handle the space in-between and how to remain positive and connected. Blogging is a huge part of that. It's a way for me to support and encourage others and to share my faith - something I talk about in little bits. Obviously I'll sew. I also want to spend more time in bible study and prayer as well as exercising and cooking clean foods. All four will be conducive to healing. Simple but not easy.



Talk soon - Myrna



Grateful - I am so thankful for my studio. It looks like I'll be spending more time here in the next few months and that makes me doubly glad that it's a well stashed place of creativity that supports and nurtures.

7 comments:

  1. Glad you figured out what changed at work, even though it doesn't help anything.

    For me, if I can at least figure out WHY it's happening, I can deal with the problem better.

    I'm so amazed at your patience with making muslins. I would have burned the pattern after the 2nd muslin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're feeling better. Apparently the fabric shop did not have the "odor of sanctity" that God has planned for you to breathe in! The jacket looks interesting, youthful without being silly, and a real brain-teaser to usefully occupy your time. I'm stuck altering skirts for my daughter, who's recently lost 20 pounds. Mind-numbingly boring, but entirely necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking for all of us who follow your blog, I think your handling of the newest bump in the road is setting us a good example.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's too bad about working at Fabricland, especially since it's something you enjoy. I'm hoping for you that something better comes along. Your attitude is great, and while I'm sure you have days where it just ticks you off...understandibly so. Hang in, I'm sending good thoughts your way!
    As for your muslin - too funny! I'm glad you caught it, the jacket looks good.
    Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to laugh about the muslins. Isn't it great that sewing allows us to always learn something more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to post this entry on the bulletin board in my sewing room. I worked for 2 weeks on a jacket muslin that I cut too big. After struggling, I finally cut one in the right size. It's still tedious but I would have had "far faster sewing success if..." You are handling the job situation and I'm sure that you will continue to do so. Now, I'm back to working on the muslin and dreaming of actually sewing a reak garment one day soon.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. I laughed at my typo. I want to sew a "real" garment, not a "reak garment". I was thinking about where to place a dart while I was typing.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete