_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 29 August 2011

The Last Week

Late Friday night, while we were watching the news, the door opened and in stepped our youngest son. We were supposed to pick him up Sunday morning only he caught a ride home early. Apparently, he missed us and wanted to come home. Isn't that ever so nice to hear?



He had a day to himself Saturday because I'd already planned a play day. My friend Monette and I took the long route - via the Fabricland in Salmon Arm and then the one in Vernon - to my other friend Lorraine's house on the far side of Vernon. She and her neighbour Gail (above left) were hosting an art show. Lorraine creates textile art; Gail paints. They each worked from the same photo and created an interpretive piece. The exhibit was set up in Lorraine's yard. Her husband creates set designs for theater. The back boards were painted wood and the floor painted cement. It was a wonderful setting for their gorgeous pieces. My favourite...



... was the sunflowers. The painting that went with had a Van Gogh overtone and lots of texture. The textile piece is three dimensional with layered beading. Each one of the center bits is three beads shaped to form the intricate pattern of the sunflower head. The piece is not much bigger than a sheet of paper. It's incredibly well done. HOURS of work.

While we were there, a group of woman arrived that knew me and I recognized them... sort of... only I couldn't remember the where's and why's and names. With all the travelling I have done to take courses or teach workshops or visit exhibits or join groups - along with the blog - people often recognize me more easily than I recognize them so... if you see me out and about and I don't call you by name... PLEASE do me a favour and remind me how I know you. Just assume I don't know. I won't be offended. I absolutely love meeting people, making friends, and chatting. It's funny... sort of... not... I used to remember easily. Now, there's this menopausal brain fog. It can't be helped. It's my age - LOL.




On the way back, we stopped at the Westwold Carrot Company, a fresh fruit and vegetable store with home baked breads, pies and cookies, arts and crafts, and gourmet culinary items like pickled beets, peach jam, and maple syrup. The spicy bean soup mix above is gluten free. That caught my attention plus I thought the packaging was very pretty.

This week is a week of lasts. It's the last week my oldest son will live at home. It's the last week of my job. And, it's the last week of summer before school starts. I thought the timing of those last two was well planned although it was totally coincidental. I have had a first day of school tradition for the past twenty-one years. I'm not changing it even though I have no children in school this year. Instead, I'll call it my Fall Planning Session or something like that. This year's timing seems perfect for a bit of what comes next planning. YES YES

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a fun day with a friend

Personal Growth - It's been a long time since I included this section and I have no idea if it'll become regular again or not but here goes. The last chapter of Barbara Johnson's book contained a powerful thought.

So give your _______ (she wrote child but you could fill in the blank with any concern) to God and then focus on getting your own life in order. Also keep in mind that you are not responsible for what you cannot control and that God has only called you to be faithful. He did not call you to be successful!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun weekend. I hope you blog more about your first day of school tradition. It seems weird to me to not have any kids starting school or university, and me not starting teaching. But hopefully, that day will come again.

    Great closing thought from Barbara Johnson. Just hard to put into practice sometimes.

    ReplyDelete