_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 19 March 2012

Knit And Reverse Knit

Saturday morning, we woke up to heavy snow fall and it snowed most of the day. The students and teachers were especially not thrilled as it was the first day of spring break. There's no spring - even if technically it starts this week.

In the morning, I sorted the paint closet deciding which cans would stay here, which needed to be taken away, and which would be useful in the townhouse. My goal is to use the paint we have as much as possible although I'm changing the color of the main areas. That means some rooms may have closets of a different color which is fine with me as long as they're freshly painted and clean. There is enough left over paint for the new wall in my studio, the storage closet, the guest room, our room, the main bathroom, and part of the garage along with the assorted bits for the closets. YEAH!

After sorting paint I knit and reverse knit the wrap-scarf. It's not done yet. Earlier I'd mentioned that it was either too long or too short and that I'd opted to knit another skein of yarn before seaming the ends together thinking that longer would be better. However...




... since I didn't know for sure, before stitching the seam I added a life line to the provisional cast on stitches. A life line is simply a thread passed through all the stitches so they won't pull out. It's typically in a contrasting color. When you pull out the work or the seam, the stitches are caught on the line and won't unravel into the work. It's commonly used on complicated lace patterns.




Here's how it looks before the seam is stitched. I also placed a marker on the ending edge so I'd know which one was the least important since it was either going longer or shorter.




And it was a good thing. I seamed the ends together, tried the wrap on, pulled out twenty-six inches, tried it on again, pinned where I thought it should be, and now have another sixteen inches to pull out. That's a lot of reverse knitting. Oh well. That's the length that it appears it will look good at. We'll see when I get there.

Yesterday, it sat on the couch waiting while I debated whether I really REALLY needed to do this and I think I do and then again, I won't be surprised if next I report that I'm knitting it longer. Too funny. In the mean time, I've started a small, simple, easily knit, baby sweater while I think because I have to have something to do and sewing is getting more difficult with all the packing going on here - LOL.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - that I paid attention when I thought about adding a life line and wasn't so arrogant as to believe I had the wrap right the first time

1 comment:

  1. I started a sweater 4 times over the weekend, and this morning I'm heading out for new needles. I did knit a swatch and thought it was good. But I did the swatch on long needles and I guess I knit a bit looser on circular needles, because it was too big when it got long enough to measure. Didn't have needles a size down so I tried two sizes smaller and that is too small. Hopefully I have now zeroed in on the correct size.

    Good luck with all the planning and packing.

    Lois K

    ReplyDelete