_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 15 March 2012

Write New Rules

Yesterday... when I suggested painting my husband's new office a shade of beige... he said... and I quote... not beige, it's too beigy. Two years dating, thirty years married, and the man has been converted to my colorful way of thinking. After the I don't really like purple comment last week, I'm not sure my system can take any more shocks - LOL. We're debating denim blue.




When I cleaned out my closet, these two t-shirts went in the jammie drawer. Whenever I wore them over another garment, they would rub and get funny white lines on the surface. Apparently that's the Lycra content but I've never had that happen to a t-shirt before. Have you? Luckily, they go perfectly with the housecoat matching pajama pants.




Another appointment I cancelled was taking the fabric for our new bed quilt to the longarm quilter. She lives just over an hour away and I wasn't up to a day trip so I'll wait until after we're moved and settled.

I had been debating purple as a wall color to go with the quilt fabric. Obviously that's out now. I wasn't sure what to pick until I pulled the textile art piece below out of storage and realized the colors were perfect together. Our bedroom walls will be a similar blue-green shade. I'm "stealing" the paint color from a friend's living room.

An interesting observation from the sewing room sale was the change in buying habits. Fifteen years ago, when I had my previous sale, people were acquiring. If the item was a good price and they wanted it, they bought it. Most of the women were ten to fifteen years older than me at that time so 35-50 and this time they were predominately in the 50-65 range. Along with a shift in the economy, you could see that their shopping was much more purposeful and thought out and there was way less just buy it because it's a good deal. I guess that's not surprising since that's the way I feel as well only I'm not used to having so much company. There won't be a tremendous amount of buyers for our "stuff" as my age group continues to age. Something to keep in mind.

One thing I like about change - whether that's moving, a change of seasons, or some other form of change - is the opportunity to write new rules. I've been thinking about how to limit and maintain the studio stash and about how I need to learn to live within a budget before we retire. I think those two could work really well together. It's what I'm pondering now.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - surgeon appointment today

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - Saying no can be the ultimate self-care. - Claudia Black

2 comments:

  1. Your comments on buying because it's a good deal are spot on to a conversation last night with my in laws. They arrived last night and brought "gifts" with them, a mix of new things and my husband's old things. They bought him two button up shirts, very nice shirts, but the reason they bought them was the price. They were $5 for decent quality shirts. It's not that my husband needs them but at $5 they felt it was too good a deal to pass up. I don't have a problem with the shirts at all, they are really quite nice, but it's the mindset that is the same of buying because of the deal rather than needing the item. I was raised in a really frugal house so I fall into that sometimes too, I am trying to get out of that habit because I really do have enough stuff.

    And you would have thought those tshirts were selected specifically for those pants, what a great match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What has really helped me keep my purchases down is documenting every piece of fabric I own - I was quite surprised the first time I did this which took 2 days - I had over 200 metres . In the four years since I have done this I have reduced my stash by 25% - I have bought alot of fabric over those 4 years but not more than I sewed. I still have enough material to create a whole complete and very full wardrobe and knowing those figures just really makes me stop and think - do I really need this and mostly I don`t.

    ReplyDelete