_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 30 March 2012

Painting Progress

This morning, when the alarm went off, I rolled over and went back to sleep for another hour. I'm the boss. I can do this. I'm also tired and sore and making a difference. The townhouse is becoming more "us" each day.



Other than the large area in the downstairs where my studio and the storage closets will be, the ceilings are finished. They were beige and had never been painted before. White makes the whole place a LOT brighter.



The closets were a lot of work. So were the ceilings. Now, rooms are starting to finish. Our room and Kyle's are done and the guest room - above - will be finished today. In the past, I've used Moore Style paint from Benjamin Moore. Aubrey - the manager - talked me into trying the Ben line this time. AMAZING.

The Ben paint is latex, almost odorless, thick and smooth to apply, highly controllable, doesn't drip, dries in an hour, is self levelling, and can be applied, left, and come back to. I started the guest room two days ago and I'll finish it this morning. The only thing you have to watch out for is overworking previous areas. If you see something, you can't go back because of the self levelling feature.  You have to trust the paint to figure itself out.

I'd have finished the guest room already except for the yellow factor. It's a hard color to paint and often needs three coats at the edges where you cut in. This morning, I'll use a narrower brush, cut in one more time, and then roll thickly and DONE. The closet in this room is a Myrna mix of peri-winkle blue. Fun.

Our room was still the original carpenter beige from eighteen years ago. I find that amazing. That in eighteen years none of the previous owners wanted to paint the bedroom. So not me. I paint partly as a way of cleaning. BUT...

... things are certainly different now. Our room is a blue-green, Kyle's is purple, the guest room is yellow, the main area upstairs will be Pasture Green and downstairs Strathmore Blue with one wall of my favourite lime - Woodland Hills Green. We're going to shock the neighbours. As I was driving home the other night, I glanced up at the living room windows facing the road and ALL of the visible ones were beige. When ours is lit up too, it's certainly going to stand out and change the neighbourhood. Oh well. That's standard for me.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - painting progress

5 comments:

  1. It's a lot of work but when it's completed it will be all yours.

    " I paint partly as a way of cleaning. BUT..."

    Me too. My townhouse gets a new coat of paint every few years, I thought I was the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you in thinking that painting a wall is a whole lot easier and more effective than washing, rinsing or whatever. Your home will be a riot of colour!

    We've not yet sold our home, but moved our stuff down from Parksville. It feels great! In spite of being surrounded by boxes and packing paper, I'm much happier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I so envy you. It hurts too much for me to do this type work. But I can just smell the paint when reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Standing out AND changing the neighborhood? All good. You GO!

    Joyce in Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your newly painted homes sounds like fun! Any creative neighbors who see it will know you're a creative type.

    What is the name of the Ben Moore paint? Is this the new one called Aura I think? I costs more but is supposed to go on in one coat too.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete