_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 2 March 2012

The Wrap-Scarf

Yesterday morning was my coffee date with the woman I met at Starbucks just over a week ago - the one wearing the wonderful wrap-scarf. I arrived early intending to journal first only she was already there so we started talking and had a wonderful two and a half hour visit. I'm so glad that I decided to approach her last time as it appears that we have many things in common. We're going to get together again the week after next.

Do you enjoy meeting new people? I'm forever talking to people in line-ups or stores or anywhere else I happen to be and have met some of the most interesting people that way, several of whom have gone on to become good friends. When I worked downtown, I would eat lunch at a European deli and get a table for four so I could invite people to join me. Canadians and Americans are more reluctant to do that which meant I met a lot of people from Europe and learned about life in their country. People fascinate me. We're all alike and yet so different.

When I'm the one travelling, I like to look up students from my on-line classes or people whose blogs I read or members of any chat group I'm on - basically anyone I know who lives where I'm going. In a few weeks, on my way to Port Townsend, I'll stop for coffee with Carrie, a blog reader. Several years ago, I met Lori while taking a class in Nanaimo. This year, at the end of June, Howard and I will be in San Francisco and I'm hoping to meet with Shams - although I haven't mentioned it to her yet as I don't have any dates or times to compare but I will soon.

I love the way meeting people and finding out more about what they are interested in stimulates my own growth. I learn about their experiences, what influences them, and why they think the way they do and their creativity inspires mine. Lori is an amazing cook. She moves like a ballet dancer around her kitchen with such ease and grace that I think that I too may be able to cook. When I'm frustrated, I remember how she moves and I realize that with practice I can become better. Shams - as you know if you read her blog - is unbelievably creative not only with trying new patterns but with the skills and techniques she incorporates into her pieces. That ability and way of thinking is always fun to be around and pushes me to higher levels with my own creativity.

Even though I only saw it that once ten days ago, my initial impression of the wrap-scarf has been tickling my brain ever since and led to my latest project. Whether or not mine will be a similar wrap-scarf remains to be seen but that one is definitely the creative spark for the one I'm making - even though they are nothing at all alike.  Starting points are like that - the gift of a beginning.




The wrap-scarf was a long cowl that reached from her neck almost to the floor. I'm not sure if I have enough yarn for that so mine may be a shorter version. I'll knit to a length I like or to the end of my yarn, whichever comes first. In order to seam the length into a circle, I used a provisional cast-on and then started knitting. Six inches along, I'm still happy although that's not saying much since I've been completely finished numerous projects before ripping them apart. It doesn't matter. The purpose of this scarf is to get me through next week's surgery - the waiting and the recovery - and if it turns into something wearable, that's a bonus because right now all I want is to enjoy the rhythm of the stitch. It's a...




... basket weave combination of knit and purl stitches in an eight row pattern using a multiplication of 8 plus four stitches - or 68 in my case - although I cast on two extra for an edge stitch each end. I like this pattern for a scarf because there's no right or wrong side. The rows are:

Row 1 - knit four, purl four, alternate to the end
Row 2 - purl four, knit four, alternate to the end
Row 3 - repeat row 1
Row 4 - repeat row 2
Row 5 - purl four, knit four, alternate to the end
Row 6 - knit four, purl four, alternate to the end
Row 7 - repeat row 5
Row 8 - repeat row 6
Knit to desired length

This is the same stitch used on the black cardigan shown earlier in the week. When I first learned this stitch years ago, something wasn't clicking and I couldn't seem to make the transition between rows four and five and was forever messing up and ripping back. This time around, it's simple and soothing and a fabulous example of how practice perfects and gets us to the point where our hands move with ease while our minds are free to ponder other possibilities.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - meeting new people

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - Trust that still small voice that says "This might work and I'll try it." - Diane Mariechild

God speaks softly. My ability to listen and to follow are more important than my ability to lead.

3 comments:

  1. I'd love to get together, Myrna! As your plans firm up, let me know and we can get something on the calendar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad we met, Myrna. I hope that you'll be able to visit here in Victoria, too.

    I'll be thinking about you, and praying for you as you have surgery next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have chosen you for the Versatile Blogger Award. Come on over to my blog and get your award.

    ReplyDelete