_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 1 March 2012

Knit To Nothing

My days are filling up with many little things with small amounts of studio time which translates to feeling like I did nothing all day when in actuality quite a lot was accomplished. I've decided that some studio time each day is critical even if they are knit to nothing like yesterday.




The pattern for this scarf finished with two inches of garter stitch which falls along the pointed edge when the scarf is complete. Proportionally, that was too heavy - IMHO - for the pattern. Three rows seemed like it would be better. Because of where the last ball of yarn joined, I ripped back to the stockinette stitch, joined the new ball there, stitched the rows, and cast off feeling pretty proud of myself for having finished this project. And then, I tried it on.




I don't wear turtle necks and a scarf typically comes off part way through the day. While this scarf may have worked well with a coat where it was being taken on and off, my intention was to wear it with t-shirts for a casually elegant look. I wanted something loose and light. My neck is short and I have the start of a double chin and I can only tolerate so much bulk around my neck before everything looks and feels congested. This scarf was right at the edge. Because of the soft linen yarn, it might have been doable if....




... the ends had been long enough. As you can see, they needed to be a good four or five inches longer for the scarf to stay tucked around the front.... and I was going to knit them longer... only every time I ripped back and tried to pick up the stitches, there seemed to be a problem and finally in a fit of frustration I ripped back...




... to nothing and started over. The ladies were just teasing me Tuesday night that I hadn't ripped back this project yet and I was smuggly thinking and I won't, I like it but apparently that wasn't true. It's back in balls. I more than get my money's worth with yarn - LOL.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - that I'm not frustrated by my "failure" rate with knitting - it's the fine art of refashioning

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - You must make major adjustments in your life to join God in what He is doing. - Experiencing God, page 50

While doing my bible study yesterday, I found myself stopped on the point above that was part of a list to be discussed in more detail later in the book. What bothered me was the word major. Without further study, I don't agree with the author. While God does move in big ways that show He is God, in my experience He also moves in small and simple ways and that each day contains numerous opportunities to show that He is God, to give Him thanks, to give Him the glory. I've tried to be increasingly aware of those small opportunities and follow them up. In my opinion, that's an important way of being so I'll be intrigued to see if I change my mind later on in the book. 

3 comments:

  1. I finished this scarf last night also and mine isn't as big as yours it. It will do for under a coat and the next one will be done on bigger needles and more repeats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree so far with the author that the major adjustments to one's life to join God occur largely at the beginning of one's religious life. I heartily agree with you that as you live and move and breathe in God, the adjustments are smaller and more instinctual, as in adjusting your sleeping position to accommodate your partner -- or trimming your sail to travel closer to the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you had to rip it back. I have a cardi on the needles that I realize is not working out and I will have to rip back. Its sitting in a basket on my table. I don't have the heart to do it. Maybe tonight :(.
    I love your description of the scarves and necklines. I'm the same. I love them, but I feel so claustrophobic in them after a short time. I cannot wear turtlenecks either, but for some reason, it seems someone buys me one for Christmas every year :(

    ReplyDelete