_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 29 October 2009

Blanching & Blending

Yesterday, I learned that it is possible to be allergic to all flours. It's not common and typically happens to bakers who are exposed to flours ongoing however, it is possible especially for people who are ultra sensitive. I also learned that it is possible to be allergic to all grains or more specifically the protein in the grain.

While interesting information, this was not happy learning. I looked it up after eating a bowl of gluten-free rice cereal with rice milk and brown sugar followed by a reaction. Gosh... think it was the rice. Either that or the sugar. I looked that up too and yes, it's possible although I don't have those symptoms. Now, I'm researching ways to overcome allergies.

One thing I'm paying careful attention to is rotating foods. When I started eating gluten-free, I also started consuming far more rice, potato, tapioca, and corn starch than I have in my entire life. The food industry seems to take one solution and over use it. Almost every gluten-free product contains these ingredients as well as soy. Not a good idea. Over consuming any one product can lead to an allergy.




For dinner last night, I made something completely free of any flour or grain that I have eaten before. In the pot is salt, olive oil, onion, celery, and celery root. It was simmered in chicken stock for a half hour before adding cashew cream for another ten minutes and then blended together. The recipe - celery root soup - is vegan. We're not so I used chicken stock. Chef Tal Ronnen suggests vegetable stock or a faux chicken.




In Tal's recipe, the soup is garnished with granny smith apples and chive oil. I went with the apples and added some crumbled bacon. At this point, I didn't feel like blanching and blending chives and the soup was enough of a stretch for my boys without green dots. I knew they'd like the bacon.




The cornmeal muffins are made with Amaranth flour. I used powdered milk which I seem to tolerate if it's cooked possibly because the enzyme that I'm allergic to has been broken down twice at this point. The muffins are sweet. Next time, I would reduce the sugar to half.




One of my favourite, on-line, fashion sites is Peruvian Connection. The garments are pure eye candy. The prices will make you gasp. The site disables downloading so I can't copy the pictures. I hope you'll visit the following links.

Edited - Oct 30th @ 7:45 pm - Thanks Linda! I can save the smaller images. I was trying for the big ones.

So far, my Christmas skirt will be made out of a silver taffeta flocked with black velvet. Even though this started out as home-decor piece, fabric is fabric. It was in the bargain center with an additional 50% off that day. I paid $7.50 for five meters of the 60" wide fabric.




It isn't silk like the Silk Taffeta Fishtail skirt above - $450.00 - however, now that I've put it through a hot wash and dry, it's soft and pliable with similar properties. The combination of such a feminine skirt with a more casual cardigan is wonderful as is this combo of a cotton t-shirt with the Sugarplum Sequin skirt below - $399.00. It has the same contrast of casual and dressy.




This Simplicity 2516 pattern should work for what I want. View B, shown in pink, is a short skirt with two layers ending just above the knee. My plan is to make the top layer out of the taffeta with a lace edging and the bottom layer out of a lining with a tulle edging. Only the lace and the tulle will show below the top layer of taffeta.




The motif on the taffeta is pretty big. I do NOT want a huge flower on my butt so I'll deliberately stagger and not match the design. I just read an article on decorative seaming techniques and might sample a few of those but they're not likely. I think that would be over-kill and take away from the lace edging.




Above is the sweater I'm knitting in a heathered (silver-ish) purple. In the magazine, it's paired with a very feminine skirt. That combination must have stuck in my mind because that's the direction I'm going in. I'll start with sewing the skirt but wait until the sweater is finished to decide on the top. Unless I dislike the way it looks together, I plan to wear the sweater as a jacket over the skirt with a more dressy top underneath. I'll wear the sweater coming and going and through dinner before taking it off for the (warmer) dancing.

Since I plan to dance all night (and don't like to be taller than my husband) I don't plan to wear very high heels. I bought a pair the other day that just might work. They - like the sweater - would provide some interesting contrast however, I'll wait until the outfit is complete to show you the shoes.

It's supposed to snow like crazy today followed by a lot of rain which doesn't sound pretty at all. It's just starting to snow now. It's eight o'clock. The one store that I would like to go to isn't open until 10:30. I'll skip that if the roads are already covered. Driving in the first snowfall is never a good idea.

Other than that, I plan to do a few chores and then curl up in the studio and knit. I'm very much a one thing at a time artist and I can't make progress when I have a stack of un-done things tickling at my brain. The black t-shirt is finished except for the collar and there is half of a sleeve and the collar to knit to finish the pieces for the sweater before blocking and sewing them together (and finding six perfect buttons - LOL). I'll finish these and make a few changes to two of my January exhibit pieces before moving on to the Christmas skirt.

Talk soon -Myrna

Grateful - an all wheel drive van that keeps us safe in winter driving EVEN IF it's old and rusty.

1 comment:

  1. Myrna, I saved the pix to file with a right mouse click. Have you tried this?
    Linda

    ReplyDelete