_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 16 October 2009

Two Dollars And Fifty Cents

While I was sitting and knitting yesterday, I started wondering about online writing jobs so I googled "writer needed" and found a LOT of requests for writers of 500 word articles. The subjects would be provided and sometimes, but not always, the research material. No cut and paste allowed. The rate - $1.00 an article.

I type fast. I like to write. I'm a good writer. The blog entry yesterday was 1,346 words long, took an hour to write, and was on a familiar subject. It would be worth a whopping $2.50. To make $10.00 an hour, I'd have to write 83 words a minute, flawlessly, with no spelling or grammar mistakes. Talk about a stressful job. Definitely NOT a get rich quick scheme. I'll keep looking.



A friend sent this picture of Evolving Sampler from the opening at the Penn Cove Gallery. You can see more details by clicking on the link and going to my website. The pottery is a great color to go with the piece. I wish the three pieces chosen had a bit more presence but all in all - a wonderful combo. My piece looks good and hopefully someone thinks it will look good on their wall.

I'll write my friend back and ask her what the reaction was to the piece mounted on canvas. Since it is one of the earlier pieces that I mounted, it's on a 3/4" canvas. Now I'm using 1 1/2" canvasses for the extra weight and the depth and distance from the wall. I am still quite thrilled with the addition of the canvasses and the significant difference they have made to how my work is perceived. YES YES




The curator for my show in January wrote me a note yesterday questioning my description of the pieces. He said "it sounds like the textile works are on primed painting canvasses on wood stretchers. Like your typical painting canvas. Please clarify." EXACTLY. Too fun. I sent him this quick image to show a front and back.

There's not too much to talk about from yesterday. I did some errands in the morning, the banking, thought about our budget, tried to plan for things that can't be planned for, knit, unravelled, re-knit, went for coffee with a friend, knit, unravelled, and got ready to re-knit this morning. In other words, I did way too much thinking. I'm so good at that and it's not always good for me. Sigh - oh well.

Today, I'm going to do more of the same. I want to take the fur off the cuffs of the suit I bought while on holidays and change the buttons from tacky shiny glitzy to a more flattering black. If I get that done before Sunday, I'll wear it to church. If not, not. It depends on whether I have the right buttons or not. I'm avoiding shopping and especially Fabricland. I absolutely do NOT need anything... except possibly two black buttons - LOL!

Have a great weekend. Talk Monday - Myrna

Grateful - warm, dry, safe, fed, clothed with lots of stash to play with

1 comment:

  1. i suspect it is time to write your own book! You would think you could make at least a buck for every 500 words and they are words that you want to write! Right now at my local MCC thrift store, they have bags of buttons -- each bag is one kind of button, some really nice ones too. Do you have an MCC? maybe check it or another thrift store -- amazing what you can find there -- sometimes you can't resist even though you don't really need it! Oh and, the rumour is that our (abbotsford) fabric land is closing down! But no one seems to know if it is just moving locations within our area or just completely shutting down -- I am glad I don't work there! Well, actually, I am glad I don't work anywhere... Hmmmm, maybe I will write a book?

    ReplyDelete