_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 21 October 2009

Row Gauge

Today, I have another eye appointment about contact lenses. The mono vision (one for distance, one for close-up) didn't work out for me. After about two hours, my eyes were fighting each other. What a weird feeling.

Next, I tried two distance lenses intending to wear magnifiers when I wanted to do close-up work. That's not working either. With this option, two hours later, I have a headache and things are looking blurry.

So far, I see the best with glasses. I've heard that from other women as well. I'll put the contacts in around eight, my appointment is at ten, and we'll see what he says. I don't mind if I can't wear them all the time but I would like them for special occasions.

Just in case, and just for fun, I'm exploring options for less expensive glasses so I can buy a whole bunch of them in different colors. I've ordered some trial pairs. When they come, I'll tell you what I think of the quality and prescription. I don't want to say anything until I know for myself even though they have fabulous reviews.




My friend Barb bought me six skeins of this Bernat Alpaca Wool Blend as part of my retirement gift earlier this year. They are 100 grams, 240 yards, of 80% acrylic and 20% wool. I'm hoping that is more than enough to make the Shawl Collar Jacket from the Fall Winter 2009 Debbie Bliss Knitting Magazine.




The pattern calls for 18 stitches and 24 rows to four inches using a 5mm needle and my gauge is 17 stitches and 24 rows to four inches using a 4.5 mm needle. Since the pattern is written in rows, it seemed more important to have that correct than the stitches. I've adjusted down a size to compensate. After I'd knit a few inches on the back yesterday, I had one of the ladies at Knit Night check it against my body and the sizing seems right so I'm knitting on. Wish me luck.




I love the look of this yarn knit up. It's a darker purple with a soft, heathered look, feels wonderful, and shows off my tension quite nicely. There are several things that I have no idea how to do with knitting but I am able to knit with very even tension.



To get the shaping for the waist, the pattern is written with the increases and decreases placed six stitches in from the edges. They show nicely in this yarn. Soft and interesting rather than lumpy.

It doesn't look like I'll get to the bra or the t-shirt today and possibly not tomorrow either. This morning, I have the eye appointment, tomorrow I have a coffee date, and this afternoon, a friend is coming over to learn how to do some basic, free motion quilting. She has grand ideas of finishing a project incorporating a beautiful piece of cross stitch work into a pillow top. I have smaller ideas of doing some sampling and starting the project. Hopefully, she's willing to do that first. It's been a while since I taught someone how to quilt - last spring, when my cousin was visiting and made a pillow as well. What fun.

Have a great day - Myrna

Grateful - sharing my skills

No comments:

Post a Comment