_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 9 October 2009

Kindness & Kindred Spirits

Last night, Barb and I went for dinner at Armani's and then on to the Nanaimo Art Gallery where we listened to a talk by Sheila Norgate called I Never Met A Blank Canvas I Didn't Like. Her creative process is very much like the one that I use - do something, do something else, continue until done. Barb has taken my creativity course - Women, Art, Life - and commented on the similarities of thought and process between it and the lecture. All very fun. I'm constantly intrigued by how we're all the same and we're all different.

After breakfast on Thursday, we drove up island to Qualicum Beach. It's about half an hour unless you stop along the way. We did. Several times. Being a good tourist and all, I bought things although the best deal was at Performing Fabrics. They carry dancewear and fabric. I went in looking for bra possibilities. They didn't have any but they were discounting some older fabrics and remnants. For $22.00, I bought 4.5 meters of a boucle, 3 meters of a wrinkly silky something, a 1.9 meter remnant of stretch taffeta, and a 1.1 meter remnant of a grey, ribbed knit. VERY good buys. Pictures later. They're already tucked into the car for now. Oh and the best thing was...

... remember the grey knit I made the Vogue t-shirt out of a couple weeks ago? I bought it at Wal-Mart a few years back for $1.99 a meter. They had the exact same fabric for $19.99 a meter. I'd never have paid that for it but it's nice to know that my $4.00 t-shirt could have been a $40.00 t-shirt. I don't shop for quality by price tag. I shop by the feel of the fabric. Quite often I get deals like this both in fabric stores and in second hand ones.

In Qualicum, I bought a GORGEOUS suit designed by Karen Kane. Suits are very in right now. So is the black and white houndstooth fabric, the fur at the cuff and collars, and the fully lined, short skirt. The best part for me was the designer fabric, the details, and the fact that both the skirt and the jacket fit. VERY unusual. I also tried on a calf length, black leather skirt that fit in the hips but was too small in the waist (How weird is that. On my figure type, it's usually the other way around.) and a black lace, fully lined, knee length skirt that I couldn't get past my thighs but neither could my teeny tiny friend so... something's up with that one too.

At one store, there was a selection of clothing by a company called Icelandic Design. The fabric appeared to be a boiled wool and the details were quite wonderful. A few of the pieces I really enjoyed aren't on their site although there's enough there for inspiration. Inspired by is all I can be. The price tags were up there. I'll check out the site, spend some time absorbing ideas, and see where that takes me. If I were somewhat richer, I'd have bought a few things. They were very nicely sewn with excellent attention to shaping and detail. Several other women in the store talked about having already bought pieces and how much they loved them. A good reference.

In Qualicum, we had lunch at a wonderful place called Lefty's with fresh cooking and - once again - an understanding of allergies. I know I'm going on and on about the food but you can imagine what a thrill and a change this is from no choices to many choices. Barb and I jokingly threw around ideas about me starting a gluten free, dairy free bakery and lunch spot in Kamloops. Not likely to happen but what a great niche market that would be. Of course, I wouldn't cook. I'd organize and hire the cook and baker.

Thursday afternoon, we stopped for coffee at Dorothy & Don's. Dorothy was one of the students in the bra making class. She is INCREDIBLY CREATIVE and gave us a tour of her home, studio, and projects. We talked bra possibilities for a while, and then quilting, and then sewing, and then knitting. We could have talked and talked. We enjoy the same colors so there were several items that I'd have loved to take home with me. I tried on a knitted vest that was quite different and kept thinking about it off and on all night so I'll need to get the pattern number from her. It was so fun talking the talk and sharing the energy. The two of them were so kind. I very much appreciated that they took the time to go to a local bakery and buy gluten free cookies. I know they were glad that they actually tasted good too.

This morning, I'm on my way home. Since it's a long weekend - Canadian Thanksgiving - I've booked on the 10:15 ferry and will get into Vancouver just after lunch. I have no idea how long it'll take to get through the city but I hope to be home before dinner and enjoy a good sleep in my own bed. The boys are feeling much better but now Howard is not feeling well. We'll see how that goes. Since it's thanksgiving, what are five things you are thankful for?

Happy Thanksgiving - Myrna

Grateful - kindness and kindred spirits

2 comments:

  1. Five things I am thankful for:
    1. A Higher Power (I call God) to support me and bring me through all things great and small with serenity and peace.
    2. Myrna's blog
    3. My ability to work through a tough situation and come out at the end feeling that I did everything I could.
    4. The health of my family: John my sil just went through aortic valve replacement and AAAA with flying colors, Teresa my dd supported John and the entire family without too many burn outs, James my dh is getting the care he needs and Helen my mil is settling into a nursing home and getting the care she needs and I am doing the best I can to keep myself healthy.
    5. A love of knitting, sewing and quilting that continues to grow.
    I don't really know what places 2 through 5 should be in the list...but that is for the future to determine. VLG
    Have a great weekend,
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just caught up with your blog and it sounds as if you have had a great time with friends and doing the things you love. You deserve it!

    I loved the outfit you made and can't wait to see you modeling the whole ensemble! Hope you had lots of fun wearing the items this past week.

    Your tutorial on binding the neck is very timely as I am just dealing with this myself. Thank you.

    Happy Thanksgiving.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete