_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 8 October 2009

Tacky Tourist Toys

Tourists have a role to play, one which includes supporting the local economy with the purchase of food, and drink, and tacky tourist toys. Far be it from me to neglect the importance of this position - LOL - I can help!




I'd already been dreaming of this gluten free, chocolate cake for weeks after reading the rave reviews on the Internet. When Kathy confirmed (in the bra class) that it was indeed divine, my gimme button went into overdrive. Unfortunately, once we located the Bocca Bakery, the cake wouldn't be ready until 4:00 in the afternoon. We had some amazing Curried Apple Carrot soup and coffee and then - darn - had to shop while waiting. VBG - good thing we waited. IT. WAS. WONDERFUL. Too rich for me to finish since this was my first really real chocolate cake in almost a year. I brought the left overs back to the B & B for later.




We went to a lot of wonderful stores. Two stand out as above and beyond for their service and friendliness. I tried on some Not Your Daughter's Jeans (Yes, they're great Chris but they didn't have my style) and bought these suede gloves at From A To Zebra. They're Christmas presents for three friends who don't read my blog - normally - and hopefully aren't now. If so, they know what they're getting. The fabric is soft like butter beautiful and the price was unbelievably reasonable.




At the same store, I bought this multi-stranded, small bead, necklace. I'm a sucker for this look. After reading The Triumph of Individual Style, I know why. It's so ME and...




... so is this watch bought at Hagar's Boutique. It's a bracelet. The beads are on elastic and stretch to fit over and to my wrist. They're multi-toned shades of purple. I have a small collection of bracelet-like watches. If I need to wear a watch, I want it to be fun and gorgeous.

That's it for tacky tourist toys - so far - perhaps I'll get something more today. As you can see, I don't go for the usual souvenirs. Kathy had a family concern come up and needed to cancel dinner so Barb & I will head up island to Qualicum Beach and see what's there. We'll stop at a few other places - like fabric stores - on the way and Kathy has recommended a place for lunch. One of the women in the class lives in Qualicum so we'll call her for coffee in the afternoon. In the evening, the Nanaimo Art Gallery has a lecture on by a local artist and author about The Blank Canvas. It all sounds good.

Last night, we went to a Greek restaurant - Ilios - for dinner. The waiter was excellent dealing with my allergies and once again, I had choices, new tastes, and great food. He recommended Armani's for tonight which is more than okay with me. It is SO NICE to have all these places to go to. I can tell that it is much more of a tourist town here than in Kamloops.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - GF chocolate cake

No comments:

Post a Comment