_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 13 October 2009

The Bee Hive

While on holiday, I visited The Bee Hive, a yarn store in Victoria, BC, Canada that is over 100 years old. That's a long time to be in business, especially a craft business. They've seen the ebb and flow of knitting, the years when it's been very popular and the years when it's not so popular.

The day I was in the store, there were so many people that it was crowded and uncomfortable. We had to wait our turn to look at shelves and move out of the way for people to pass. It's been years since I've been in a craft or sewing store that is that busy. It was too many people for me. I bought the pattern I was looking for and left although I'll definitely go back next time I'm visiting Barb.

It's wonderful to meet people who love to do what you love to do. The shared energy is both inspiring and encouraging. Almost everywhere I go, the fabric stores are busier and the classes are fuller. More people are returning to (or learning to) sewing fashions and knitting. It reminds me of the 80's when sewing was so incredibly popular. I've noticed that, like me, quite a few people are focused both on having fun AND on improving the quality of their workmanship. That has been my goal with knitting this past year. Below is the shoulder and sleeve seams from the front and...




... here they are from the back. I'm quite pleased with how smooth, flat, and even they are. For the shoulder seam, I used a three needle cast off. The sleeve seam is sewn connecting one loop from each garter stitch edge to one cast off stitch on the top of the sleeve. A garter stitch edge is created by always knitting the first and last stitch of each row. That creates a knob. When the seam is sewn, the knobs fit together like the teeth on a zipper.




This is the second garment that I've put a zipper into. I did a much better job. I used Wash Away Basting Tape to position the left side of the zipper and then...




... stitched it in place using the sewing machine. It can be sewn by hand. I didn't see the point and a machine stitched zipper seemed to me to be stronger.



To sew the second side, I re-closed the zipper, peeled off the backing, and matched the pattern across the front. Then I un-did the zipper and sewed the other side in place. The top was a bit too long since it's designed for a 5/8" seam. I turned it under but not as neatly as I would have liked. I'll work on that some more next time.




This is the first hoodie that I've made. I knit the hood eight inches high to start with and the opening seemed too small so I added another two inches and now it looks about right only it's curled under even with an edge stitch. It's more like a wonky cowl than a great hood. Oh well. Learning. I could take it out and revert to a collar only I added a row of single crochet all around the front opening before sewing the zipper so that won't be happening.




When I showed it to Howard he said, you're not going to rip that out are you? Do you think that maybe - just maybe - I've been doing a little bit too much of that. LOL - no - I'm not. I'm going to start something new for me. Today. At Arts & Crafts Club and then Knit Night. Along with my knitting, I need to pack the sample bra for show & tell. When I saw Brenda the other day, her first question was where is the bra? Both groups of women were REALLY excited about the class. Fun.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the fun of starting a new project AND with yarn already in stash!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice sweater, and very nice workmanship! That's what I love about sewing and knitting: I am always learning something new. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've intriqued me with your 3 needle castoff comments. I'm going to have to dig out my knitting reference books and check it out. I like the look of what you've done, very neat.

    ReplyDelete