_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 1 October 2009

My Style Is In Style

Yesterday's Oprah show was called Girl Talk About "Good" Hair with Chris Rock who spoke about his upcoming comedic documentary, Good Hair. It focuses on why African-American women place so much importance on their hair however, the information applies to all women.

One section of the show featured Ali Wentworth who said that she no longer knows what her true hair color is and that it's important to her to be blond in order to stand out and be noticeable. Chris then asked her how she managed to do that when "all" white women are blond panning the audience in which yes, it was true. All the women who were not African-America were blond. Great question. One of my favourite lines in the movie What A Girl Wants is "why are you trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out". YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

In another section of the show, Solange Knowles talks about why, after her hair was receiving more attention than the election in Iran, she decided to cut it off saying - in essence - that Americans needed to focus on far more important things. She talked about the need to be free from the pressure of her hair at this point in her life and the ability to make different choices later when she wants to. There's that wonderful word again - choice. It's powerful.

In my early twenties, I was a hairstylist so I'm familiar with perms, relaxers, colors, and the cost of a really good cut, However, my hair color is my hair color and has been for years. I have a few grey strands and everything else is totally and naturally me. For a girly-girl, it's surprising but I can't be bothered. Maintaining any kind of short or processed hairstyle is too much work, takes too long, and costs money I'd rather spend on something else like yarn and fabric.

My hair color is quite dark so most people think that I do color it and I do - once in a while - when I chose to - but almost never - and usually only with lighter streaks and not an all over color. The last time I did that was in May 2007 for my daughter's wedding. I prefer my hair to look like me rather than the hair of the masses. I've been wearing my current hairstyle in short and long variations for YEARS. It's a bobbed style with slight backcombing at the crown and rounded bangs. Sound familiar?

In her posting, My Point & I Do Have One, on September 29th, Stephanie McPhee (The Yarn Harlot) talks about trends and people's reactions to them and in particular knitter's reactions to popular patterns. Some want to knit them because they are popular. Some don't want to knit them because they are popular. I'm more in this second category not because I hate anything that's popular but because I'd rather be more unique. To me, that's the whole advantage of knitting and sewing your own garments - to be different, unique, one of a kind, less of a follower and more of a leader. Except that, every once in a while, my style is in style.

More than bobbed hair is in. Three years ago, I bought a calf length, double knit sweater, with drapey front points. I've worn it spring and fall for three years and I still absolutely love it. I imagine I'll be wearing it for years to come only this year, drapey, pointy sweaters are everywhere. Four years ago, I bought a blue, knit jacket shaped much like a riding coat with a frill around the edge. Last night, the weather reporter was wearing a very similar style and I've seen them in magazines. Five years ago, I bought three inch high, alligator green, heels and 3" high, fuchsia pink, Mary Jane styled, heels. Heels are very in. Ones just like mine are on feet all over town and in magazines. In my closet are three or four Chanel inspired sweaters that I've had for between five and fifteen years. Guess whose popular this year? I could go on.

The styles that I am attracted to now are the same styles I can remember being attracted to in my teens and twenties and thirties. Sure, they've grown up and matured as I have but they are still my style and when my style is in style, I have a mixed reaction. Part of me is tap dancing for joy because there are going to be some really great finds in the second hand stores next year and part of me is just plain annoyed. Suddenly, I don't know what to wear because I'd rather stand out in a crowd than be part of a trend.

Good thing that I'm sewing fashions right now. I can still find someway - somehow - to be "me". I'll give that more thought while I'm away on holiday, if I ever manage to get packed and go that is. I'm not typically a last minute packer. It's partly indecision about what to take and partly because the boys have been quite sick, my oldest on especially. I spent yesterday fluttering around them with homemade, hot chicken soup and lots of liquids hoping that they'd feel better soon while swallowing large doses of vitamins so that I don't get sick because I really want to go on holiday. LOL - how "selfish" that sounds. Obviously, I'd stay if there was something major wrong but thankfully, they both appear to be on the mend. Howard has next week off work to be home with them. They're going to do fine.

Today I have some appointments to attend with Kyle, coffee with a friend, and and packing to do. I'm off early in the morning. I do plan to take my laptop but I have no idea when I'll post. If I have time, I'll write tomorrow's posting and schedule it for the morning. Otherwise, if you don't see something bright and early, I'm on the road, heading to the ferry, crossing over to the island, and about to have a creative week and I'll post as soon as possible. YES YES

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the boys are starting to feel better

No comments:

Post a Comment