_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 22 October 2009

Snoop Shopping Weight Loss Fashions

If I had a million dollars, I'd buy _______ - The first time you heard the Barenaked Ladies sing that song, did you start filling in the blanks? I know Howard and I talked about it quite a bit. I bet we all did. What intrigues me is the difference between what I think I might buy and what I actually would buy because...

... as much money as it is, in today's economy, a million dollars is really not a lot. By the time I gave some to charity, invested for retirement, paid off my mortgage, helped my children, and bought a new car , it would mostly be spent.

The fluffy, pretty girl, part of me would love to buy shoes and purses and clothes. Designer ones with gorgeous details. The kind I gaze at, touch lovingly, and never take home. There's a huge difference between what I'm drawn to in the stores and what hangs in my closet. This is one BIG reason why I'm returning to sewing. If I'm willing to put in the time, some of the styles I enjoy can be made for just a few dollars.

Earlier in the summer, my weight hit a plateau and then, when I was away on holidays, I started losing again. It's strange, and not true for most people, but I tend to lose weight when I go on holidays. It's because I eat three regular meals nicely spaced throughout the day.

We can gain weight by eating too much AND we can gain weight by not eating enough because our body goes into starvation mode and tells itself to save every last morsel just in case nothing else shows up for a while. Even though I know this, I still have a hard time feeding myself at home. I thought that after ten months of these allergies that I'd have adjusted to the food issues but not so far. At home, I am really vague about when and what I eat.

In the past, I ate toast with peanut butter and honey or a bowl of cereal with milk for breakfast. Now I can't eat toast, most cereals, or milk which means unless it's eggs or left overs, I rarely eat breakfast anymore. This is not good so I'm working on a "standard" breakfast. I've ordered some loaf and muffin mixes that are gluten and dairy free. If that works, I'll figure out how to make my own, bake them, freeze them, and zap them for breakfast.

In the last six weeks, I've lost an additional 1, 2 and 1 inches on my bust, waist, and hips. Millicent is now bigger than I am and I'll need to dial down her numbers to keep sewing. Interestingly, I've lost more weight from around the back of my hips than around the front. It's where all the fluff goes I guess. My back and front sides are getting closer to an equal width. I've asked a friend of mine who is also broader across the back if she notices that during weight loss or gain. Have you?

Since I want to sew and I want to be able to wear those fashions even if I lose more weight, I went snoop shopping for weight loss fashions at the Anthropologie website. I think I mentioned once before that I love their details and fabrics.

These three blouses are the Vermillion Acres Tunic - $74.17, the Smartly Shaped Blouse - $85.08, and the Preened Plumage Blouse - $139.62. LOVE the pin tucks around the neck of this first one but otherwise it reminds me of an apron. With styles like these, elastic could be placed at the waist to achieve and maintain shape. If the garment is not too full through the bust, the elastic can be taken in as needed. I have a waist and I'd like to show it off.






I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE little ruffles. Don't ask me why. I almost never wear a ruffle of any kind but these teeny tiny ones, especially made out of a knit fabric with a lettuce edge, are way up there on my favourites list. These three are the Petal Shower Top - $63.26, the Last Light Tunic - $95.99, and the Grey Tie Top - $85.08. With some shaping at the waist and side seam, a soft drapey fabric, and a focus on details especially up toward my face, these would transition the loss of at least ten pounds and if I used princess seams, they could be taken in a bit further.






This is a COMPLETELY wrong style for my figure type and my age. It's way too cutesy with the floral fabric, the lace, and the bow and for some reason I really like it and the parts I really like, like the pleats and tie at the hips, are not something a Triangle would normally wear. I'd look even more bottom heavy. When I'm strongly attracted to the wrong style of garment, I ask myself why? In this case, it's the femininity combined with the crispness of the pleats. That's information I can use in another garment. Buying this one, the Sheer & Light Blouse -$95.99, would not be a good idea.




The femininity of these styles is also what attracted me to the Ladylike Blouse - $74.17 and the Flocked Chiffon Blouse - $161.43. The first one would bring attention toward my face and add visual weight across the upper body which is good for balancing the Triangle figure type. The second one accomplishes a similar goal however, with the elastic at the waist, it also shows off the figure more. Both have tiny, covered buttons which are on my LOVE list right after tucks and tiny ruffles. LOVE these details however, love them small, soft, and not overdone.




It's almost impossible to see the details on this blouse since it's black but I wanted to show it to you partly because the details around the neck are gorgeous but mostly for the price. The Bow Un-Tied Blouse is $215.97. These are Canadian prices but even still. There is NO WAY, I'd pay that much money for one blouse. I hope that would remain true even if I were a millionaire.




The Carmen Tied Back - $161.43 was my absolute favourite of all the blouses I looked at. I enjoy the simplicity and shaped, clean lines, the detailing at the neck, the short piece of elastic to give shape, and the lovely bow at the back. I couldn't copy the back image so you'd need to go to the site to see it. This blouse would be beautiful with a simple skirt or even extended to a dress. Adding short to three quarter length sleeves would not be an issue. This is the type of garment that looks extremely flattering on a Triangle.




Back at home - shopping in my own closet - where the patterns and fabrics are already paid for - this Vogue 2946 is the closest pattern to the looks I enjoed at the Anthropologie site. Several others could be adapted but - first - I will finish the new bra which is already slightly too big while I think about what's next. Perhaps, I could add some of these elements to the t-shirt in progress.




While I was typing this, a package arrived on my doorstep. It's the gluten free, dairy free mixes. YUMMY. I have company coming for coffee later today so I'll make either the lemon or the apple cinnamon loaf now, have some for breakfast, and serve the rest later. YES YES.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the ability to and the fun of sewing

No comments:

Post a Comment