_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Friday 6 November 2009

A Bump is Way Better Than a Hole

Trust your instincts. How many times are we told that and how many times do we second guess ourselves. I guess we have to learn the lesson over and over in every area of life. If I had been sewing this garment, I would have known for sure that the collar wouldn't work. There was too much fabric in the curve of the back neck. Because I was knitting it, I wondered if there was some kind of "magic" that I didn't know about that would make that weird shape do the right thing. NO - there is not.

When I took the jacket over to the yarn shop, the first thing she asked me was is it a Debbie Bliss pattern? Hmm... that's an interesting reputation to have. Here's what it looked like. I could choose between laying flat and even at the front and being gimped in the back or laying flat and even in the back and being gimped in the front. Neither was a good choice.




My seven hour collar is once again a ball of yarn. I did really well taking the collar off except in that spot I mentioned yesterday. I thought I had the right thread. It wasn't. I cut a hole along the edge. That orange clip below is holding it together. I went back to the mall for an emergency repair session. I've never cut a hole in my work before and wasn't quite sure of what to do - grafting - new learning.




Here's what it looks like now. There's a slightly bigger bump in one area and that's okay. A bump is way better than a hole. The "new" shawl collar will cover this. I researched a different method that makes a LOT more sense and won't take nearly as along which is good because...




... I had mentally checked this project off the list thinking I'd be done Wednesday night and it wasn't so. Now, I'm playing catch-up with myself. This month my mental deadlines have stretched out further than I'd ever think they could. It's taking FOREVER. Even so, I'm close.

There are four things to do - finish the capelet which in all fairness is recently added to the list, finish the collar on this jacket so it's done and wearable, and create two crusty focal points for the texture series. Maybe, just maybe, I will actually be done by Monday. That's when I want to start work on my SWAP plan and the Christmas outfit. OH... GOOD NEWS...
... on Wednesday when my studio visitor and I were discussing the outfit, I showed her the scalloped edge on the green lace fabric I'd used for my MOB skirt for my daughter's wedding. I was telling her the fabric stores had no black lace and that I rarely buy lace so I doubted that I'd have anything that will work ONLY I did! A black linen with an eyelet embroidery in a rayon thread and a scalloped edge. I can cut off the edge to attach to the skirt. YES YES. AND...
... there is a party. I called the secretary at Howard's work and asked her. It's on the 19th of December so right before Christmas. I'm not a last minute person which makes it a perfect date for me. I'll have everything bought and wrapped well before then and be ready to party. It also gives me lots of time to make my outfit. I'm excited. I LOVE to dance, which is a good thing because I mostly can't eat the food - LOL.

This morning, I'm off to my friend's house. I'll be there for three or four hours knitting and talking, learning how to do those baby hats, and looking at her weaving which is GORGEOUS. It will be a wonderful day. Friendship, and the time to share, is such a wonderful gift.

Have a great weekend, talk Monday - Myrna

Grateful - a successfully repaired hole and NOT a ruined project.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that your husband's company is treating you to a Christmas party. They can really be fun if you are with the right people. Have a great time for all of us and let us in on what you did and how you were the belle of the ball in your new outfit.

    I signed up for a class to learn to knit socks. I did an inventory of all the knitting stuff I have and I could swear that there is more somewhere. I have a rolling tote just for knitting and crochet and put everything I found into it. I was going to through away the decorative tin can with a padded lid on it that I had emptied. DH said it would be a perfect stool for him when he is working on his motorcycle. That is one thing out of my future studio and out of my way. Yes Yes.

    My future studio plans took a big leap this week. I found a radiant heater in the garage that we salvaged from my MIL apartment when we moved her into a nursing home very near to our house. Last night when I moved the tin can I found another heater that was buried behind the tin can. Now I will be able to heat my studio without additional cost. Although I have to admit I would like to have a fire in the fire place. No wood on the wood heap. No money to buy wood and no place to cut wood. I will not spend $4.00 US on five or six pieces of wood. A fool and her money are soon parted and I am no fool!

    Have a great weekend. Chat with you next week.

    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrna,
    I have been following your blog since I took a QU class with you and have always enjoyed it. I have been totally fascinated by your 'journey' over the last year and tremendously impressed by the way you have coped with so many things. I had decided late last year to begin making my own clothes again and have eagerly followed your discussions about you doing this. I have also learned a great deal - in particular how to use my dress form, which is in the attic as it didn't quite 'match' me! I also now follow some sewing blogs which I found through you and have learned a lot from them also.
    I have also knitted for a long time and am in awe of your skills in this area - recently, I gave up on a bolero top as, always at the same point, I went wrong. I am now thinking that perhaps it was the pattern and not me!! However, there is no way I could do what you have done and re-write the pattern. This is a brilliant skill to have.
    This long post is really just to say 'thank you' and to let you know that you are very much appreciated and that,in many ways, you are still teaching!
    Regards
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete