_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 23 November 2009

The Von Trapp Family Skirt

Saturday afternoon, I sewed a McCall's 5523 skirt using the dark aqua-green fabric that I bought a week ago Sunday and the lining fabric that I bought last Friday. Both were from the discount section. I went back for the lining fabric to underline the skirt, give more body to the upper fabric, and eliminate the need for a slip. It was regular $15.00 discounted to $1.00. I saved $84.00 on six meters and it worked like wonderful. Total cost of the skirt - $6.00. The pattern was probably more expensive.




It was REALLY easy to fit and sew. I moved the zipper to center back instead of at the side seam allowing me to take it in when I lose more inches. This will only work for another size or so before the proportions will be off but it buys some time... although at the price of this skirt, I could just sew another one and give this away.




The back straight on and the back from the side so you can see that wonderful flippy section.




Kyle took these pictures the minute I got through the door from church before I changed. Otherwise, who knows when I'd have taken some. The underlining felt LOVELY. This hem length, just above the knee, seems quite flattering. My legs have nice enough shape however, I have a lot of varicose veins so I prefer wearing tights or pantyhose to even out the tone and I LOVE the way they snug me in and smooth me out. I'd have liked higher heels only I was singing in both church services and with five hours of standing - NOT!




Sunday afternoon, I started on my Christmas skirt. This Simplicity 2516 design is sewn with two pattern pieces. You cut two of the combined front/back piece and four of the combined front/back-side piece. These form a mirror image side to side and front to back.




Somehow, the idea that the curve of my butt equals the curve of my stomach is not at all comforting. I now have this image of myself as a beach ball when I'd prefer to think of myself as shapely with a flat stomach and a curvy rear end. However, I looked at Millicent and she is relatively similar back to front and since she's dialled up to look like me, I suppose it could be true.

For version B - the pink one - you also cut two of the combined front/back overlay and four of the combined front/back-side overlay. That's the version I'm working on. The top layer is 3" shorter than the bottom layer. I'm not sure what the difference is in the longer version above, but you can see that the hems are too far apart. The proportions are off. The same is true with the shorter version. I'll change that.

My plan is to cut the top layer out of fashion fabric and trim it with lace and to cut the bottom layer the same length as the top one only out of lining fabric to which I'll add a wide (about 2-2 1/2") edge of gathered tulle. Ideally, the resulting look is attractive with a somewhat sexy, peek-a-boo bottom.




This is a really fun fabric - silver taffeta with a velvet flocked design. I picked it up in the discount section for $1.50 a meter. My plan was to stagger the motifs, deliberately mismatching them to create an interesting look. It's certainly interesting. It looks...




... like the Von Trapp family skirt. When I showed it to Howard he said, no it's quite cute until I tried it on and then he said, sexy shape, different fabric. When I asked my oldest son if it looked like I was wearing curtains, he said, sort of. The youngest one said, no comment. His friend said, yeah, kind ah. I think that's husband speak for I'll take you in anything but preferably out of it and boy speak for what's the right answer here because that looks like yuck but I don't want to hurt your feelings. My daughter I can count on for the truth. I wish she was closer. She'll read this and say what were you think; you're not going out in public in that. LOL - too fun. SO...

... at best, the "looks like curtains" fabric was inexpensive for making a muslin. Now, I know the pattern fits and my idea is still fun. I'll pick a different fabric from my stash. What comes to mind immediately is a green lace with a scalloped edge left from my daughter's wedding. It's very pretty and would be much more flattering. Of course, the top I had in mind matched the "curtain" fabric so I'll have to think of something new for that. Oh well - that helps to test more patterns for my SWAP.

Today, I'm cleaning. We have laminate flooring throughout the house except in the basement and bedrooms. It needs a REALLY good cleaning and I have absolutely no desire to get down on my hands and knees with a pail and a rag. Instead, I bought a steam mop the other day when they were on sale. I've heard they're amazing. We'll see how it works. Hopefully quite well since I'll be sliding all the furniture around to get to the corners. The fridge also needs cleaning. The cupboards need sorting. The sheets need washing, the bathrooms need a scrub, and a flick of the swiffer and a vacuum would help the dust levels. I'm not sure I'll get that far. We'll see. Cleaning is good - LOL - but what I really want to do is SEW!

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - Boys - what fun!

2 comments:

  1. Myrna

    You have such a wonderful sense of humour! The green skirt is wonderful. Flippy. Flirty. The Von Trapp, it is too late for piping but you could still apply bias over the seams even between to break up the print more. Myself, I see nothing wrong with the pattern and fabric, but I do like longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Myrna
    LOVE the flippy skirt! It really suits you. I don't mind the Von Trapp fabric, but perhaps less is more? Maybe a panel for a skirt - I've seen some really interesting skirts (and dresses for that matter) mainly one fabric, then have another one/two fabrics in the same colour but different texture/pattern. Often some sort of asymmetrical design. Would like to try one myself - on the "TO do" list.
    Lyn in Australia

    ReplyDelete