_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 3 November 2009

Tap Dancing Moment

The H1N1 vaccine has not been produced in the quantities expected so although three of us had an appointment for shots, over the weekend the rules changed, and we were asked to allow those most at risk to go first. I knew about the changes but I also knew that once a vial was opened it could not be saved so we showed up for the appointment to see what happened. Aryck and I were asked to wait. Kyle was able to get his shot due to having type 1 diabetes. I guess there has to be some perks but another needle does seem rather ironic when he already takes six to eight a day.

My doctor is a sweetheart. He has taken incredibly good care of us for the past twenty years and we really appreciate him. When he explained the situation, I said that after the weekend news I had been expecting this to happen, that it was fine, did he have someone else here to get the shot, and to please add us to the waiting list. He must have thanked me three or four times for my understanding. I just wanted to give him a big hug. He is such a healer that I know it was very difficult for him to turn one person away in favour of another even though it makes sense.

There is a clinic today in Kamloops. When I called about it last week, I asked the woman on the phone what she expected. She said that she expected long line ups, chaos and confusion, and a lot of anger. I said so, if we show up, we should bring water, something to eat, a book, our knitting, and a hug for you. She laughed and said that would be wonderful. I talked to her last Thursday. She's spent days dreading today. I hope it goes better than anticipated.

It's unfortunate that there is so much anger around these vaccines. I know it's because of the fear factor. That compounds emotions. I really feel for the health care workers who are trying their best to organize and administer. I'm amazed at the bickering, especially in parliament. It's unbelievably unprofessional. I wish leaders would lead and set a good example. To argue about completely unrealistic aspects - such as the opposition thinking the government should be able to control whether a company produces or does not produce enough vaccine - is so counter productive. I don't imagine they'd have done any better.

These are unusual circumstances and frankly parents (the government) are not always able to organize teenagers (the company producing vaccines). For whatever reason - and I have my guesses - they've decided not to co-operate. No one, including the opposition government, could have predicted that decision. I'd prefer to see all sides of our government proactively modeling good behaviour and co-operation among the population.

I don't usually make political comments. In the last few years I have found the behaviour of our government incredibly repulsive. We don't pay them to act like a bunch of idiots. HOWEVER... this comment is less about the government and more about not taking out our fear and anger on those who are doing their best to help us. It is not their fault that things are not going OUR way. They are simply a integral part of the plan. Without them, we would not get a injection. They don't deserve anger and abuse. They deserve thankfulness, gratitude, a smile, and a willingness to support them as they support us. In other words, I wish people would treat them as they want to be treated.




Yesterday morning, I blocked the collar. I've never worked with this shape before so it took a while to figure out the plan. Eventually, I started at the top pinning outward and then down and around the curve matching the measurements side to side. I can't say enough good things about this Sew EZ pressing/blocking board. It really is fantastic. Luckily, I have two. In the afternoon, I pinned the sleeves to the other one and laid it on the floor in the family room. The pieces should be dry by tomorrow. I'm hoping to get them sewn together this week.




The basket of yarn is EMPTY. All the new, un-knit yarn is on the yarn shelf and all of the rolled up ready to re-knit balls are in the drawer. Yeah! The ones in the drawer are the ones I'm working with first to accomplish my goal of reducing my yarn stash BUT... getting everything back on one shelf was part of the goal. TA DA.





One of the reasons why is because I got this MOST AMAZING phone call from my daughter. She said (in a somewhat grudging voice) okay, send me the stuff. She was referring to how to knit supplies and yarn. We'd been talking about it a few days earlier, about how she needed a new hobby. I suggested knitting because it has never ending possibilities and she's so incredibly creative and because I could send her the supplies "for free". Her husband has been out of work since the middle of may BUT... GOOD NEWS... yesterday, he got a new job only it's 1 1/2 hours away so she's going to have lots of knitting time when he's not there.

I'm sending the pile below including two how to booklets by Patons, a thicker how to knit book - Knitting in Plain English - the red yarn for practice, enough variegated yarn to make a child's sweater plus a basic pattern, a few balls for a scarf or similar project, and 4 - 4.5 - 5 - and 5.5 mm needles which will give her a good start. They are straight needles. I now use circulars however, I had these in the drawer for IF she or one of my (potential) grandchildren wanted to learn to knit. How fun to pass them on.



I also emailed her some how-to video links at KnittingHelp.com. It's a great resource. Several of the videos show the Combined Method of knitting that I use as well as various ways to cast on, cast off, knit and purl, and increase or decrease. I only listed the topics versus individual links. Even so I got was accused of being like a kid in a candy store. Oh well! LOL - I'm sure that all creative mothers whose child has suddenly and unexpectedly shown an interest in one of their forms of creativity would enjoy this tap dancing moment.




The cowl neck is on the black t-shirt. It is done. Unfortunately, I'm quite disappointed with it. I used the exact same pattern as for this ribbed grey t-shirt however...




... the black one fits completely different. It's too wide in the shoulders, too low in the underarm, and clings through the body. I know it's the fabric factor but how annoying. After spending so many years working on fit, I've become picky - too picky. One of my friends is in a similar situation so we talked about how to back off on fit pickiness and move forward on having fun.

The measure for me now is would I buy this garment? I would have bought the grey ribbed t-shirt. I would not buy the black one although I like the cowl neck and the feel of the fabric a lot. Otherwise, it feels too big. At a store, I would have tried on a smaller size and if that didn't work, I wouldn't have bought it. I doubt I'll wear it much. Someone is going to get a lovely black t-shirt.



Today is my knitting day. I'm using the Stampata yarn from my re-knit drawer to start this Bernat Top Down Button Front Capelet. It's a free pattern. What is it with these free patterns that they don't check the math? I looked the garment up on Ravelry.com to see what others had said and only four people noted it. The two that had finished had not posted any problems. They said, it was easy to knit. It will be BUT... didn't they notice?

The capelet is knit in the round from the top down. Increases are made front and back of the raglan sleeve so you cast on a section for the left front, place a marker, a section for the left sleeve, place a marker, the back, place a marker, the right sleeve, place a marker, and then the right front. The number of stitches for the back is 24. The number of stitches for the fronts is 2 and 2.

The button band is added later. It is 2" wide meaning that it overlaps and center front is at the 1" distance so 1" is being added to the width of the each front. The gauge is 15 stitches equals 4" meaning that for the width of the front to equal the width of the back, each front must total the distance of 12 stitches (half of 24). Using gauge, the 1" distance of the button band is 4 stitches. Subtracting 4 stitches from 12 stitches equals 8 stitches NOT 2 stitches Following their instructions will create a wide back and a skimpy front which might be one reason why, in the picture, it looks like it pulls on the body at the sides. I think the model's pony tail is strategically hiding a fitting issue.

I want my capelet to hang evenly all the way around and not to pull up at the sides. Knitting from the top down, I can try on as I go so I'll see what happens. I may add short rows across the two sleeve sections to give additional length there. I'm also knitting the button band on as I go rather than picking it up and adding it later. After the four tries with the sweater on Sunday, I'm not inclined toward adding button bands at the moment. I need to research how to get them to appear even and flat on the garment rather than pulled. Later. This will be a great project for today, tonight, and for using up this left over yarn.

Have a great day. I'm off to get ready and then go knit. Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - that Kyle got his H1N1 shot and for all the health care providers

1 comment:

  1. H1N1. What a mess. Canada or USA it is a trial to get the vaccine.

    So glad that Kyle got his with little difficulty. DH and I are both in the high risk group due to autoimmune disease. Here in Ohio the counties are setting up distribution centers. In Butler Co they set up in the county fair grounds on a Friday and Saturday. Reservations were required. On Friday they had to close the gates early and then only allow people with reservations to continue in. It took almost 6 hours for individuals to get their vaccinations. Saturday was not as bad. I guess the long lines for Friday made people reluctant to try. DH and I were in line for only two hours. Everyone in line was joking and having fun. It was like a line getting ready to see a concert or play. We had fun. Thank God!

    I know how you feel about Kyle getting his vaccine. My grandson cannot get any flu vaccine because of a severe allergy to eggs. That and he has Marfan's Syndrome. Now I am worried about him. He is 8 1/2 years old and could easily get the flu. There is nothing to do about it.

    Speaking about patterns. Do they ever NOT make a mistake? In this day and age of computers, you would think the computer would catch some of the obvious ones. I am working on a hoody in camouflage yarn for DH. I hope it turns out right as I am not an experience knitter.

    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete