_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 10 November 2009

Paint & Laundry

You might have wondered in yesterday's posting when I said I was doing laundry and painting focal points. The two do go together. Paint needs to dry. I'm impatient. While waiting, I changed loads, folded towels, and made beds. It was perfect. When I ran out of household tasks, in-between painting layers, I worked on the SWAP. I'll tell you about it tomorrow. I finished the focal points just before lunch. They started with FoShape, a heat activated product that looks a bit like batting.




I used a heat gun to shrink the fabric and melt holes through the middle. When I was happy with the overall texture, I cut out...




... the circle and square shapes that I needed. These are the exact same size as the original focal points on each piece only they will have more presence now. Better, I think.




I layered the paint to get the right colors starting with a bright yellow and a dark blue. The correct purple was much easier to achieve. The orange took a LOT of work and many layers of paint.




Here they are finished. The purple in this image looks more blue than it really is. It's a metallic, medium, red-violet shade.




Here is Squares before and...




... here it is after. AND...




... here is Cording before and...




... here it is afterward. Remember, I can't show you the whole image until after the exhibit is hung in January. I'm sorry. HOWEVER...




... I'm much happier with these textures. It feels like the three pieces in the Textures series hang together better now. Since I was really pleased with the Colors and Line series before, with these changes I like all nine pieces better.

Today is my knitting day. I'm starting a new project, something small, like a hat while still knitting off the stash of unravelled yarns. That's going to take me a while especially if - LOL - I keep unravelling projects. I still haven't decided about the capelet. I'm taking it along today to get opinions. Have a great day.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - FINISHED the studio to do list. It's time for SWAP and sewing.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the changes you made to your pieces. I agree that they look even better than the original, which was great.
    How exciting to have them completed to your satisfaction. When do you have to ship them off? I wait breathlessly to see the entire collection when you are able to show us. I can only imagine from the smaller images what they look like.
    I found some yarn that I started to make into a sweater for my first husband who passed away in 1981. I think this requires some unraveling and the yarn may make good socks. Hum.
    Have a great day, Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete