_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 25 November 2009

The Costly and Possibly Worth It Siberian Top

When I first bought the magazine with the shawl collared jacket in it, I showed it to a friend and she loved it so much that she bought the issue too even though she hasn't knit for years. She's said several times that she wants to start again and so far hasn't been able to make the time although it sounds like she was a fairly high end knitter before. It should come back easily.





A few weeks ago, when she saw me wearing the jacket, she suggested I knit her one. When I said it took between 30-40 hours and even at a rate of $10.00 an hour the cost would be $350.00, she seemed to be mulling it over so I added and you pay your housekeeper $20.00. I have absolutely no desire to knit or sew for anyone else but if I did, I would certainly want to earn as much as someone scrubbing potties or let me scrub the potties.





Hand knitting is labour intensive. The more complicated the pattern, the longer the project takes. This costly and possibly worth it Siberian Top is from ThievesBoutique.com. It's hand knit in organic wool and listed for $648.00. Since it's a relatively simple design, I concluded that it is actually hand knit, maybe in Canada, maybe even by Canadians, who are hopefully getting a decent hourly rate while the company is still looking to make a profit. Those are all suppositions on my part BUT - if true - even though I couldn't afford (or want) to buy this top - there are people who can and how thrilling that someone somewhere could actually be getting a decent amount for their artistic endeavours. It's so hard to do.




As a point of comparison, I started this toque last night at knit night. Three hours later, I'm five rows from the end plus sewing up the seam. Even at $10.00 that's $30.00 plus supplies plus profit if I were to sell this hat. I just don't know too many people willing to pay a hundred bucks for a toque. Perhaps they're out there. I think they might prefer organic wool to bargain basement acrylic though and then up goes the price.




I've finished four toques so far. Two in the multi-colored Rumours (discontinued) yarn which is an alpaca blend and two in the black Bernat Chunky yarn, an acrylic that I know pills badly which is why these left overs became toques. It looks like I'll make two or three more before I'm done knitting up all the suitable bits and pieces of left over yarn. It feels good.

A few weeks ago, I challenged those of you who knit and live in cold places to consider making ribbed caps and donating them to street people. I don't think they'll even know that they're wearing a hundred buck hat but I do know that they'll appreciate being just a little bit warmer and that feels good too. A win-win.




This morning, I'm going to finish the hat and cast on the next one and then I'll cut out and sew this New Look 6735 t-shirt - the view with three quarter sleeves. I made this pattern a few years ago and had almost perfected the fit when I had some textile work that had to be done. It's been put aside since. Now that my size has changed, I'm back to figuring it out. According to the finished measurements which include four inches of negative ease and the flat pattern measurements which are larger than what they state, it should fit fine however, those high hips of mine always create an issue. I get a 3" fold of fabric at the back of my waist and a raised hemline.




A 3" adjustment makes for a really weird pattern shape. I emailed Lynda - the author of DeMystifying Fit - and asked if this is what she meant by the high hip adjustment and she gave me some advice BUT... I want to compare the original to the changes so I'm going to sew it without this alteration first and see what happens. There were lots of great reviews on PatternReview.com for this design.

My Chanel-ish jacket from September was a New Look pattern as well. It came together really well. I need to look through their catalogue more closely because the patterns are far less expensive than some others. Perhaps I'll find a lot I like AND save money. YES YES.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the skills to knit and sew the designs I love but could never afford to buy and the enjoyment of doing so.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personal Growth - He comes alongside us when we go through hard times, and before you know it, he brings us alongside someone else who is going through hard times so that we can be there for that person just as God was there for us. - 2 Corinthians 1

All of our experiences are stretching and growing. They can be used to support and encourage someone else who is going through a similar situation because only someone who has been there, walked in those shoes, can truly understand. I want to be bold in helping others and not hold back for fear of being hurt or intrusive or overwhelmed by their emotions. I want to do what I can do in my God given way and hope that what goes round comes round because there are times when I can really use an understanding ear too.

3 comments:

  1. Myrna,
    I like your personal growth section. This first one is so true. So many want to give advice but have no idea what the other person is going through. Only if I have walked the steps can I give my way of handling the situation. I don't really give advice, but tell how I handled something like it in the past.
    Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day in the U.S. For your followers who are Americans I pass along good wishes for the holiday.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrna, what you say about the cost of hand made items is so true. My num used to run the hand knit stall at out church garden fete and was often shocked at how little people wanted to pay for items. What I have noticed since returning to both dressmaking and knitting is that when I first knitted and sewed in my 20s, it was cheaper than buying but nowadays, with so many mass produced items from the Far East. it is no longer cheaper. I console myself that what I have is unique! Thanks again for such an interesting blog and I love the idea of your personal growth spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found you through Stitchers Guild. Love everything I've read. I'm a knitter and my first love is garment making.

    I'm an avid sock knitter and almost always have socks with me - at the movies, walking in the mall, etc. Everyone wants socks - for nothing! Won't do it. :) g

    ReplyDelete