_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 19 November 2009

Dialled Down Millicent

Yesterday was one of those one step backward, two steps forward, kinds of days. Not quite smooth sailing although progress was made in the end. I started by testing stitch lengths, seam allowances, and pressing.

Fussy fabrics that shine over when pressed or show the seam allowance drive me crazy. This is one of the good ones. Like the black, it's a dressier fabric but not as smooth and slippery as most. It has that catchy surface. Not sure what that is but I like it AND... another discount buy. I was there the day they pulled these bolts off the floor, reduced them to $4.00 a meter, and put them in the bargain section where they promptly went on sale half price.




I bought three meters in two colors and sent them to my friend in Yellowknife for $12.00 as well as nine meters for myself for $18.00. If I remember right, the regular price was between $15.00 and $20.00 so a savings of at least $165.00. I'll check for more in another color next time I'm over although I don't remember seeing it on Sunday.

Before I started sewing, I dialled down Millicent. She was now several inches larger than I am. Working with the dress form, I'm very aware of how many inches I'm losing and exactly where. This time, I had to adjust across the back in the bust and hips and on the sides for the waist.




On Monday, I bought a smaller bra for me but Millicent has to wait. Hers is clipped together tighter for now since the cup size hadn't changed, just the band. I am so glad I bought this dress form. They are FABULOUS. I have no idea how I managed to sew without one for the thirty years before.




The high hip alteration on a princess seam ends up with this weird shape. See how the grain line shifted? The bottom angled edge of this pattern has been pushed outward an additional inch. According to the instructions, I should cut that off and add it to the side seam only I've found that makes the hip and hem too wide. This time, I left it on until I could see what happened and ended up eliminating it so it's cut it off the pattern for now although I've since started to worry that there won't be enough room through the hips even though I basted all the seams earlier and checked. Hopefully it's needless fretting.

That was the frustration yesterday. Alterations that didn't work like I thought they would - which is fine - it's good learning - except that I want to get on to sewing. Actually, what I want to get on with is wearing. Here's the blouse this morning. The collar band needs to be hand stitched underneath and then I can move on to the sleeves.




For this version, I cut out the long sleeve with the cuff. It's been forever since I've worn a button up blouse never mind one with a sleeve and cuff. I couldn't begin to tell you when that was. It'll be a change. A good one I hope.

My plan for today is to sew this morning, ideally finish the blouse, make a quick trip to Fabricland for buttons, check out the discount section, and come back to the studio and cut out a co-ordinating skirt. I booked Wednesday and Thursday - all day - for sewing. We'll see what really happens.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - perseverance

1 comment:

  1. Seeing Millicent once again when reading your blog today prompted me to look up on my wholesaler's site to check out her "friends" so that one might come to visit me. Unformately the version you have does not come in my current size but I ordered the correct size one and will use it till I need a smaller one. At wholesale price, it is afforable and I can re-sell it when I need a smaller one.

    This will be my Santa present to me this year......I realized one of the reasons I sew is so I don't see others wearing what I am wearing. My current employer and I both shop at Penningtons from time to time and we have the SAME jacket/blouse. I joked that if we wear them on the same day, we can tell people it's our uniform.

    I've decided that this will be Santa's present to me this year (even if it is early) so I can start making my own clothing, but better and more properly fitted.
    Your blog will sure help me make my double (I will have to come up with a name for her) a good sewing buddy.

    Thanks Myrna!

    ReplyDelete