_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 7 December 2010

A Small World

On Sunday, I was having coffee with my friend Francine when two women walked up. The first, Lorrie, hugged Francine and asked her about playing soccer. They used to play together. As Lorrie went to introduce the other woman, she - the other woman - Angela - said to Francine I know you. It turns out Angela is married to a friend of Francine's from school in Quebec. Angela lives in Quebec, was just visiting, had gone out for coffee with her mother, run into Lorrie, and subsequently us. It took a few minutes for Lorrie to remember that our boys had gone to elementary school together. It's a small world. Four random people connected.

I'm constantly amazed by who knows who or where you are when you meet someone you know. In 1993, I flew to Boston for a working holiday. Boston is on the east coast of the United States. Kamloops is not quite on the west coast of Canada. While walking across the Boston airport to meet my friend Caroline at another terminal, I ran into Tom, who used to live just down the street from me in Kamloops and had moved to Yellowknife. Caroline was flying to Boston from Yellowknife. They weren't on the same flight. She knew Tom through work. Yellowknife is 2,100 miles north of Kamloops. Caroline grew up in Kamloops. It's a small world.

I've been thinking a lot about that phrase lately. It's used in two ways, to describe interconnected relationships and to describe a world with not much in it. My world is relatively narrow. I have a few favourite subjects and some well established routines. While I'm constantly learning, few of the new things that I've learnt are outside of my range of interst. When they are, it's mostly because they were a topic on Oprah or the news, which is why I watch those shows. They broaden my horizons and make me feel more connected to the bigger world. Getting a job is going to make my world bigger. I'm looking forward to that aspect as much as to the paycheque, getting out of the house, interacting with people, and doing excellent work. It's taking longer than I thought it would.

My friend's daughter has applied for over thirty Human Resources positions and hasn't received a single call yet. She's young and talented with a solid education and recent experience. I try to let that be encouraging, that it's just the times, that it's not me because I've applied for numerous jobs and for most, my application has not even been acknowledged and I've never heard anything more. The difficulty with on-line applications is there's no one to call. You can't ask questions or get feedback or figure out where you're going wrong and what you could do better.

Last week, I did get a response from a job I would have really enjoyed. It said that I didn't meet the requirements. It's possible, probable, this was a form letter because I know that I met the requirements and I know that I would be excellent in this position. Apparently something on my application is not working for me. As I don't know what that something is, I called the Customer Service Manager at my bank and asked if she would help me. When I go in today, she will go over my on-line profile, cover letter, and resume and give me some feedback based on what she's looking for when she hires a customer service representative. Isn't that fabulous? I'm so thankful.




I finished the two neck rings yesterday. Getting brooches to go with has been more difficult than anticipated. I wanted something colorful and bright and funky and unique and a different one for each friend. Not in Kamloops. I'd either have to make them myself or order them in. I did find this floral shape with opalescent rhinestones that pick up the color around them. It's not what I really wanted but will have to do. Surprisingly, it was at Michael's in the bead section. There's a ring and a pin on the back so it can be either a pendant or a brooch. It works.

Today, I have the meeting, then errands, and then it's knit night. I'm not sure I'll get any sewing done. We'll see. The waistband is still next.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - getting feedback on my application process

5 comments:

  1. When I finally finished college in 1986 (it took me twenty years to get a bachelors degree with a marriage and a child during that time) I sent out 100 resumes. I had only two that were responded to and both had me come in to interview. The 100th resume was one of the two and I have been employeed with this company for 24 1/2 years.
    Don't give up. Some individuals send out hundreds of resume's and finally get a job.
    Karen W. in S.W. Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you contact the employment services office in your area, they can direct you to courses and seminars on finding a job. My daughter just did this. They helped her with her resumé and more. My husband went there too when he was out of work. It's not just for people on employment insurance.

    I love the rich blue hint of the neck ring. Someone is going to get a beautiful gift.

    Oh, and my daughter was told that if at all possible do not do online applications but paper ones and drop them off in person.

    Job hunting is a tedious business. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myrna, do in person resumes if necessary but there are companies that will only accept emailed or faxed resumes. That happens a lot in the north.

    In my teaching career, I have had very few interviews - emailed in my resume stuff and got the job. This time, I went in to inquire about the job, then applied for it, and had an interview. First time for everything.

    Gorgeous neckrings and I do love the broach you chose. I have been helping our son-in-law get his present ready for our daughter. I got to wash and braid a piece of the mane of her deceased mare. My hands still smell of horse. LOL

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in a similar position. I am going to personally deliver my resume to a potential employer tomorrow. I have decided a while back that that is a must when possible. Why? I am 60 years old, bring a lot to the table, and have been told I look much younger. While that should not matter, in the real world it does. My on line applications want to know when I graduated from high school and college. No age discrimination? Hah! I worked in HR for several years and we always looked at that number. Some of our positions were very physically demanding and these went to the younger and more fit applicants. They would get the interview. Discrimination? Yes, by all means. This is the real world we live in. Throw into that equation an economy with many competing for the same position.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Myrna - check out www.pathwaysprogram.ca
    The organizations are different out there in BC than what I know here in Ontario, but I think that these people will give you a hand in your job search.

    ReplyDelete