_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 8 December 2010

Crammed Full

Thanks for your encouragement. The meeting at the bank went well yesterday. We spoke for almost an hour about my resume, about the duties of the position, and about how this bank in particular operates. It was really good learning that I'll be able to transfer to all of my profiles. There's only one credit union that takes resumes in person. The rest of the banks require you to apply on-line.




My newest project is making slow progress. I didn't knit a thing last night and just sat and chatted instead. The mall is open for late shopping the month of December so we're meeting in homes. This meeting was at Brenda's. She had put together a table full of appetizers, crackers and cheese, veggies, and baking. A LOT of work. I took along rice crackers and antipasto as well as a gluten free, dairy free, gingerbread loaf. I'd made it before so the success odds were higher and it worked. Thankfully. Others even enjoyed it.




The project I'm working on now is #25 Le Gilet a Pans Arrondis from the autumn-winter issue of Phildar magazine. I'm guessing it's the 2009 issue but it could be older. I dug it up in a crammed full shop in Whippletree Junction on Vancouver Island when I was there in April. It's a shop I'd love to go back to. There were all kinds of interesting yarns and patterns.




Phildar is a French magazine being put out in English. I only have this one copy. Verdana is a German magazine also being put out in English. It's owned by Burda, the same company as the sewing patterns. I have a five issue subscription to it. What I like about these European knitting magazines is the difference in styling compared to our North American ones. They're a little more upbeat and interesting, different than the norm, even if - LOL - the one I'm currently knitting is calm enough.




The pattern is designed for narrow hips and a wider bust. It might just be this pattern or it might be a commonality between all the patterns based on the most common European figure type. I'm not really sure. Either way, my body is wider on the bottom, narrow through the bust, so I'm adapting the instructions to fit me. I should probably write good notes before I forget what I've done to copy to the fronts.

Last night, when I walked out of Brenda's house, I slid straight down the driveway. It had started to rain and was freezing as it hit the ground. Luckily, I was the first to leave and could warn the others. Several of them are much older - in their seventies - and one has a false leg. I'm so glad they didn't slide with me although I left right after warning the next person so I'm not sure how it turned out in the end.

The roads were slippery all the way home. I hope they've been well sanded through the night. I'm going out for breakfast with a friend at nine and my son has an exam at the university this morning. Walking or driving could be hazardous. The not fun part of winter.

Later this afternoon, when I take Kyle for his guitar lesson, I'm having coffee with one of the women from my grad class that was at the party last Friday night. She works at a bank downtown, the one were I screwed up the application. I'm looking forward to coffee. This woman always has a big smile and a laugh and a strong sense of joy in life. I remember that even from our years in high school though we weren't good friends.

If I'm going to get any sewing done - and you can tell it's happening at turtle pace - it'll be tonight if Wendy comes to sew and maybe even if she doesn't. Not only do I need to put the waistband on my party skirt, I want to alter one of those long line bras that I ordered, the one that fit through the band but was too big in the cup. I ordered it for under the party top so I should make the effort to wear it.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - a good meeting yesterday and safe driving last night

No comments:

Post a Comment