_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 21 December 2010

Word Of The Year

We believe that knowledge has value and it does. Of equal value is what we do not know. The known has been identified and in that identification loses some of its mystery and depth. The unknown is ripe with possibility, unlimited by restrictions.

When considering the unknown, our imaginations can soar. There are no limits. While sometimes frightening, the unknown is equally magnificent, equally beautiful, equally inspiring as we add to it what we wish. New learning, new skills, new discoveries exist not in in what we know but within the realm of the unknown as we dream, as we envision, as we grow.

To believe that I know it all is to deny myself all that is yet to be imagined and discovered. While I am thankful for what I do know, I am equally thankful for the wealth and the wonder of what I do not know.




Lisa Call is a textile artist whose work I have followed in part because she is goal driven as I am. In an article written on Christine Kane's blog in 2008, Lisa said, I started by setting aside my usual beginning of the year ritual, that of setting dozens of aggressive goals and jumping in getting things done, and instead I chose a single word to focus my year around. Her word was courage. You can read about how she chose that word here and about more 2010 word of the year choices here. Christine Kane is a mentor to women. Lisa was working with her at the time.

While I am goal driven, my approach is not as intense as Lisa's appears. Some days, when I read about all her lists and structures, I am tired. She seems to slot something into each click of the clock. That doesn't work for me. Instead of accomplishing, I become overwhelmed by the agenda. I have found that I am more productive when I work with an outline and the freedom to explore the unknown rather than with a list and the assumption that I know what I need to know without deviation.

I am talking about creative goals not paint the bathroom or clean the kitchen type goals. I prefer creative goals with a strong sense of direction that take what I do know and begin to form a path into the unknown. Let me try to give you an example. Instead of setting a number specific goal such as I will sew three capsules of three garments that go together each month creating a wardrobe of thirty-six coordinated outfits, I would instead set a directional goal such as in order to broaden the scope of my wardrobe, I plan to sew co-ordinated groups of garments that work well together and attempt to connect the groups using the endless combinations approach while accepting that this will not always work.

The first wording is a check list goal. The second sets a direction and - if this was my goal - would give me a purpose which I always need. It would also give me room to evolve, adjust, and be flexible within the goal as I discovered how it worked for me. A goal like this may work. It may not. It may be accomplished. It may not. It depends on if you were truly ready for it because what I do know for sure is that while you can set a goal that you think you should achieve, until you actually want to achieve it, and have some purpose that gives you energy, you will flounder. I have found it helpful to leave room for both myself and the goal to evolve and grow as I explore the mystery of the unknown.

My 2011 word of the year is INSPIRE chosen for its many angles both in inspiring others and being inspiring and for continued exploration of the known and of the unknown. I haven't yet written my intent in a complete sentence. I'm working on that.

If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau




Today is my daughter Jessica's 24th birthday. She is half my age. I am twice as old as she is. Without any charts to confirm it, and no knowledge of my longevity, I'm fairly confident in saying that I doubt this will happen again.

Jessica inspires me She's an incredibly talented, capable, creative, and achieving young woman who has thrived in areas that I continue to struggle with. Her success not only inspires me to be better, it gives me hope that some chains have been broken. We are alike in many ways which I'm sure she won't enjoy reading but has come to accept on some level. I'm very proud of her.

This is a week of lasts. Yesterday was the last major grocery shop before Christmas. Our fridge and freezer are stocked up and I hope that's it although I'm realistic enough to know that we've probably forgotten something. Today, I'm washing sheets and towels so the beds and bathrooms are fresh. Tomorrow, we'll clean.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the mystery and discovery to be found in the unknown

1 comment: