_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 14 December 2010

My Goal For Next Year...

Working your way through twenty years of electronic files is tedious business. And obsessive. Suddenly, I have a desire for neat, clean, well organized files when for years I've managed to turn my head and ignore the need. Of course, that's because they were the backup files. And - I'm sure - because the job was overwhelming - which it is - only now it's also unavoidable. Should I be grateful for a crashed hard drive?

A few months ago, Howard set up a secondary hard drive, meaning another one besides the external one used for backing up. It's purpose was to hold all the images that were taking up way too much space on my regular drive and slowing down my processor. While sorting through the backed up files, I decided to move all the images to that drive and then, from there, when all of them were all present and accounted for, sort them into some kind of order. Except, it was full before I got all the pictures moved. Can you believe it? Apparently, there are more images than I thought. That will be the next big clean up. I'll start by deleting the full image and keeping only the sized ones which should make a significant difference. There are also lots of pictures of my muslin coated body that don't need to hang around although...

Last night, my youngest son sat me down at the keyboard to show me something. He googled his name and came up with a huge long list of either images from, or links to, my blog. He found this astounding. LOL - the things you don't know about your parents. I told him I do blog five times a week. Oh! Really! Some of these images will be hanging around for posterity on the Internet.

Edited Dec 17th after receiving a nasty comment. My son did know I write a blog, he didn't know how often. He did know that I mention him. I do have his permission. He was surprised that his full name linked to my blog which was due to our shared last name. When I told him about the posted comment he said, what's her problem. A typical teenage response - LOL. The comment has been deleted since the writer refused to sign their name.




Apparently, Canadians are more in debt per person than Americans are although only five percent of our debt is on credit cards which supposedly means that while we have more debt, we also have better debt. Hmm... I'm not sure if that's something we should be proud of or not. It's sort of a mixed blessing.

The Governor of the Bank of Canada was urging us (on the news last night) to - even though borrowing rates are low - make wise decisions and do not accumulate more debt because at some point the rates are going to go back up. Isn't that like the candy store window? It makes me think about my spending though. Always good.

I applied for another job yesterday. So far the computer hasn't rejected me so we'll see. Whenever I get my first paycheque - from whoever - I've already worked out the spending/saving formula which is exciting in itself. So full of potential. I'm looking forward to the change of having someone else pay me after so many years of employing myself. It didn't always pay well - VBG.




Over the past year, I have become a lot clearer with my studio purchasing decisions especially toward the end of the year. After a year of fashion sewing, I have a much better idea of the kinds of projects I want to sew and the fabrics that I prefer to work with. I also recognize that what I have right now is more than enough even if I'd prefer more natural fibres and slightly higher quality. Oh well. What I have is what I have and I'll use it first so...

... my goal for next year is to work my way through the piles of potential already accumulated in my studio. That's most easily done if I stay away from Fabricland. Since that won't be entirely possible, I hope to contain my purchasing to mostly notions to go with the fabric and patterns that I already have. You can tell you're at overload point when you click away from sales. I have absolutely no interest in fabric or the BMV Club sales right now. The stash closet is full and the pattern drawer runneth over.




So does the to be refashioned box. This silver grey, chenille-ish sweater was Howard's. Since he never wore it, I moved it to the box where it's been waiting around, along with two or three others, to become something for me. I'm debating pairing it with the rhinestone zipper and cutting the turtle neck into a collar. It all depends on...




... how I reconfigure the front. I'd like those cables on each side to form mock princess seams which means the front one will get cut out because the sweater is way too wide. The back is just ribbed with no cables. I'm debating how to stitch some of them together to become pleats. So far, I'm just processing ideas. I didn't even start yesterday. After errands and file cleaning, I read for a bit, made supper, and then...




... the drain backed up in the kitchen. It's been doing this periodically for the past while and this time the problem was too big for the plunger or the full length of the snake. At eleven last night, Howard was on his way to WalMart for liquid plumber. It loosened things a little through the night but not all the way so this morning the sink is covered up, we're not using it, and hopefully more liquid plumber will do the trick. That might mean that I quietly stay home and sew or that I spend most of the day out. I'm not sure yet. All I can say is better now than when we had a houseful of people for Christmas.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - that we have a sink downstairs in the laundry room

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete