_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday 21 April 2011

A Five Dollar Oops Is Okay

Last night was Staff Appreciation Night at work. The store was open late for employees only, food (Chinese) was provided, we visited, and then managers cut fabric for us. About half of the staff were there. It was fun. I went with a list and...



... managed (mostly) to stick to it. On the far left is the lace fabric I bought in the bargain section in Nanaimo in February. I'm particularly proud of this purchase as the lace was regular $22 bought for $2 per meter. I took it with me last night to find a lining and chose the green you see next to it. On the far right is 5 meters of white fusi-knit interfacing and then 10 meters of broadcloth for muslins. In the middle is my oops. It wasn't on the list. It's five meters of a permanently wrinkled rose pink knit bought for one dollar a meter. A five dollar oops is okay.




Here's the lining under the lace although it's much brighter in real life. The green is a cross between lime and apple and has a shine to it.




The dress is for the dinner on my son's graduation weekend. The top runner is Vogue 8409. It's stylish and I like the sleeves although I might go shorter, elbow length.




I'm also considering Vogue 8665 above and Vogue 8382 below. This last pattern has been in my stash FOREVER. It has great reviews so even if I don't sew it for the grad, I'd like to make it for summer only... my plans are bigger than my "tummy". You know how it goes.




Carrie wrote - I ended up having to quit the part-time job that I thought I wanted after our kids were grown. When I was home from work, I too was too tired to do the things I enjoyed like sewing. So I ended up quitting. I'm not saying you should quit your job too, Myrna. But maybe you'll come to that later on if it's not working out for your life and your family. It's just what I ended up doing. I'm enjoying sewing again, and I'm adjusting to living with less.

How fabulous that you recognized what wasn't working for you and changed directions. That can be hard for some people to do and for others to accept. I always get "interesting" comments when I change my mind about something I thought I wanted. After working at home for 20 years, I'm really happy to be getting out more. I was feeling lonely and isolated.

My experience so far has been abnormal as the store has been really busy with closing out sales, packing, unpacking, and opening sales since I started working. We talked about that last night - how everyone is tired. I haven't really experienced a "normal" work week. Hopefully, now that things have an opportunity to settle, I'll come home less tired and it'll work out for me.




Last Friday, I bought new towels - 16 bath, 8 hand, and 8 face cloths. I'd been waiting for a sale and Sears (finally) had them on 60% off. The men in my life take a LOT of baths and our towels were getting pretty sad. I often joke that I've been punished for staying married to the same man - no extra showers or wedding presents. I had to buy my own towels.

Yesterday, I sorted them into color piles and washed them. Today, after I clean the bathrooms, I'll switch out the old ones, serge around the ratty edges, and pack them away for my son when he moves out. I have no idea when that will be but, eventually. They can go with the pots I put aside for him earlier.

The day looks like cleaning, some sewing, and getting my nails done. Dinner will arrive tonight. It's the second meal from Lorrie, the lady who is cooking for us. On Monday, it was SUCH A DELIGHT to know that when I went home from work, there would be dinner in the oven. She made curried chicken in a coconut cream sauce with peas and cauliflower and quinoa in chicken broth with raisins, apples, and almonds. YUMMY - this may be a decision that I can actually stick too. We all enjoyed it. I'd much rather have a cook than a housekeeper, which is why I'm cleaning house today - LOL.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - fluffy new towels

5 comments:

  1. I love that lace with the lining! I also like your pattern choices. V8409 is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great meal.

    I like all those dress choices. I would like to make more dresses for this summer. I've been looking at my wardrobe and it's pretty skimpy. Time to break out of the mold, only I'm not quite sure how.

    I hope that you find a good balance between work and home and time to do what fills, and not empties, you.

    New towels are an affordable luxury - love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want someone to make me that for dinner! And a 5 dollar oops is cheap at the cost. You've learned more than the 5 dollars sets you back. You won't buy fabric with that property again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh oh! Time to confess that I'm much more frugal in some areas than you. I regularly go through the bath linens. Bath towels are up-cycled into hand-towels and wash cloths that is, if I can't just simply fix hems or mend small holes. Even with just the 2 of us, I find that I'm adding about 6 towels twice a year. We bathe regularly. It's a pleasure not just a requirement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful dresses! I'm suffering from 'pattern envy' now, LOL!

    ReplyDelete