_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday 11 April 2011

Buy & Return

More than once in the last few weeks I've thought I want to get out of the house, I'll go to Fabricland only to remember that there is no Fabricland to go to right now. This is most likely good since I also don't need the temptation of new fabrics although this week will be packed with them. I'm working today and Wednesday still setting up the store and then Thursday for the grand opening and Saturday. It's a busy week. After that, they'll only book me my "regular" 12-20 hours a week.

Instead of going to Fabricland, I went to Chapters - my other favourite store where I haven't visited much since buying an e-book reader. I picked up an allergy-free, vegan, baking book that is going back. The author uses rice flour in absolutely every recipe. There's a common belief that no one is allergic to rice. It's not true. I know people who are allergic to rice and I'm beginning to think I may be as I have all the symptoms of developing another allergy and they strongly point to rice which has been predominate in my diet. I'm testing that theory as well as making an appointment with my Naturopath to discuss options.



Last week, I mentioned the part in The Happiness Project where Gretchen talks about not buying those things that she really wants for one reason or another. I've debated a bowl mixer for several years and on Saturday bought one at Costco - because of their great return policy - because I wasn't sure if it would work for me.

I used the mixer Sunday to make cookies and it's going back. At that price - $325.00 including a $90.00 savings - it would have to be amazing and while someone else might think it is, I don't. I can think of numerous other things I could buy for that money like maybe a new area rug for my studio - something else that I've been looking for just the right one for a few years. It was a buy and return weekend - LOL.



gwensews wrote - I have total pattern envy, but only for as many minutes as it takes to order it. I want to figure out a longer sleeve for it. Patterns I collect, and no one will buy them for me.

Piece one above is the main pattern piece. The vertical edge at left is center back, the inside of the curve is the bottom of the sleeve, and the two short pieces are sewn together to form the top of the sleeve as shown below. I think you'd be able to lengthen that. Piece Two is the ruffle. You cut two and gather it to two of piece 3. The other two of piece three are sewn right sides together forming a casing for the elastic.



I worked on the jacket over the weekend and it's at the elastic stage. I need to insert a 67" piece of 1" elastic into the casing for the main body and sew 1/4" elastic around the sleeve hem. Hopefully I have enough. If not, I can't buy any until Thursday when the store opens. If I get time tonight - and I have the elastic - hopefully I can finish up to show you tomorrow. The fabric has been perfect for a muslin although I've been imagining the possibilities in a softer fabric and/or a knit. I have enough yardage left to muslin one of the Marci Tilton pant patterns and...

... I need to decide on three outfits for the first weekend in June. It's my son's grad ceremonies and my birthday on Friday, the grad dinner on Saturday, and our 30th wedding anniversary on Monday. That calls for new outfits although at the rate I'm sewing I had better get on it quick.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - the ability to know when something isn't right for me and return the product without feeling bad about it



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for showing the jacket illustration. I can see where to lengthen the sleeve. My pattern is on the way! I'm really anxious to see yours. I'm thinking a soft, sheer fabric would work up well, and I'm on the lookout for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on returning things we don't really need. I have the same mixer in white that I got 2nd hand and barely used. I love mine and use it. But other things I think I need and don't use, I return.
    I am sorry to hear that you have another allergy flaring up. I was so hoping they had settled down for you.
    I look forward to seeing the jacket finished. It is an interesting pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I've got to start clearing out my pattern collection. I need some room for your Kwik Sew pattern. I really like it! I've gotten much better with buying fabrics, but patterns are still a weakness. Good for you -- You recognized what was not worth your money and returned it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for accepting and returning what you don't really need.

    It is all about balance.

    ReplyDelete