_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 26 April 2011

The Pie Chart And A Line Graph

A week from now, it'll be May. A month after that and I'm expecting to have sewn a knit top, a skirt, a lined dress, and another outfit as yet to be determined never mind the muslins and prototypes that go with. Have you noticed my low productivity rate lately? An output like that is near to impossible unless something changes and quick. Hopefully. We'll see. I have today and tomorrow off and work at five on Thursday night. In essence, that's three days in a row. It's time to sew, sew, sew... and write. I'll have three blogging mornings back to back. I'm looking forward to that. I really enjoy writing.

Recently, on Did You Make That, the writer (whose name I'm not sure of - edited - it's Karen) discussed Tilly's Sewing Productivity Project and showed a pie chart and line graph of her productivity over one week. Although she didn't list all of her activities, it was an interesting glimpse into how another person organizes her time. The data showed that she spent more time sewing than any other activity however, what she was most fascinated by was the role of writing in her life. She blogs as well as writes other projects, some of which are paid and most of which are not. That fascinated me too because...

... In The Happiness Project, author Gretchen Rubin talks about writing both as a profession and as a hobby. During one of her month's topics, she explored the book No Plot, No Problem which teaches how to write a novel in a month. While writing the novel, she just did it without editing or worrying about whether the book was publishable. When she was done, she tucked it in a drawer. She wrote the novel just because.

Over the last few months, I've come across numerous references to people who write just because and not for publication. Just because is something I have great difficulty with. On some level, I judge just because as pointless and yet, on another level, I believe it's so important to do those things that feed our soul. It's an interesting struggle.

In terms of writing, I don't have a problem thinking of things to write about. My problem is in actually taking the time to sit down and write that book or article just for the pure joy of writing. Do you do that? Is there an activity that you really love to do but that, on some level, you don't allow yourself for whatever reason? What and why?

This morning, I'm finally having the blood work done to check for allergies. With the long weekend, it wasn't possible earlier since it has to be sent to the US for the results. The data will take two weeks and then, we'll have a plan for healing. YES YES. After the tests, I need to mail some packages and after that, I'll finish the blue paisley t-shirt. Short of cutting out a new back and stabilizing the shoulder seams, it hasn't moved much all weekend. It will today.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - sunshine

3 comments:

  1. You said "On some level, I judge just because as pointless". Why is that? Does it have to do with external validation? If it feeds one's soul, how can it be pointless at the same time? Even though it may appear pointless to others, clearly it isn't to the doer because it feeds his or her soul.
    Interesting struggle. Definitely food for thought. Thank you for yet another great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only reason I write is for the joy of it. The cadence of language and the act of writing make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about starting a category of sewing projects that are "art projects" - not necessarily textile art per se, but just things that I do for fun, or because I want to explore a technique or silhouette, rather than something I plan to wear.

    I know how you feel about certain things feeling pointless - when it's not intended for other people to consume, or at least with some kind of actual result that others could see attached. But just like some parameters/limits make it easier to be successful in a project, too many can make it hard. Sometimes, in my opinion, we all deserve to "goof off" and play with ideas without any kind of outcome planned. It's a balancing act, for sure.

    ReplyDelete