_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday 6 April 2011

Huge And Heavy Bags

It's quite possible that every bone in my body aches. And I'm stiff. When I sit down, I'm never sure if I'll be getting up again - LOL. Yesterday, my partner and I sorted the drapery rolls onto shelves according to color. That turned out to be a bad system for re-ordering which is done by product name so we had to re-sort the rolls back onto the shelves alphabetically. Between packing, unpacking, and moving stock around the store, I have moved those huge and heavy bags of drapery rolls at least six times now. As I said to my husband last night, there comes a point at which you just don't care that they are paying you to do this; you are not going to do it again. I have two days off. THANK GOD!

Mardel wrote - Accepting my own priorities, not the ones other people felt I should have, and I felt I should have because they wanted it, was a big part of finding happiness to me.

That's HUGE isn't it Mardel. It comes up in all areas of life. Much of the staff was staying later last night. Not me. I worked my eight hours, packed up my stuff, and left. There were other things I wanted to do with my time besides work late. I know some thought I should be staying. That didn't bother me even though they said as much. They had the same choice.  I made mine. It was the right one for me. Good and enough.

In Chapter Six of The Happiness Project, Gretchen Rubin writes - During this month of friendship, I happened to read two memoirs that reminded me of something that's easy to forget: people's lives are far more complicated than they appear from the outside. That's why as part of my resolution to "Be Generous," I remember to cut people slack.

Ain't that the truth. One of the women that I work with is suffering from serious health issues. One has a terminally ill husband and another a chronically ill partner. Several are in school and working part time. One has a small child. One is a single parent while another has a partner who works long hours away from home. While that has nothing to do with work, it has everything to do with work and it's good to remember that what appears on the surface is not the whole story.


Mardel also wrote - It's the creation that interests me, not the maintenance.

I have often said that I like to decorate in the spring and then wish the garden would stay that way. The weeding has no allure and definitely not the daily dead heading. Thankfully the automatic sprinkles do most of the watering. If I had my way, I'd put the plants all pretty in the ground and then sit on the porch for the rest of the summer and enjoy.

Sister wrote - I have this pattern (your T & T shirt) but I've avoided it because some of the reviews said it was low cut. Did you find that to be the case?

I didn't and I don't remember reading that in the reviews however, that's a factor that's easily changed. I've redrafted my versions to have a ballerina neckline, a round neckline, a rounded V neckline, and a crew neck. Simply measure the depth of your favourite neckline and adjust from there or trace the neckline from a pattern you know you like. The fit is worth it especially through the back and bust.

Kwiltsfl wrote - I went on a quilt studio tour today and one of the quilters said she had taken your Studio Makeover class online and remarked how helpful it was. Do you still teach this class or have the teaching materials available?

How nice that she found it helpful enough to mention it. I'm glad. Unfortunately, I am no longer teaching that class nor do I have the materials available. They require interactiveness and were roughly based on my book Setting Up Your Sewing Space. It's out of print however, if you can get a used copy of the book it may be helpful although the class dealt far more with the emotional perspective of a studio than the book did. The book is more practical and was written when I primarily sewed fashions. The on-line workshop was more subjective and individualized and developed primarily for quilters.

lenoirdenantes wrote - How inspiring. A day to collect your thoughts and get inspiration in a familiar and inviting location. Hope you get everything done that you want to do and everything done that you didn't know you wanted to do.

I guess I didn't know that what I really wanted to do was sit around, read, and rest. That's mostly what I've done for last two weeks. Today, I am once again home alone in the studio - that is right after I get back from breakfast with a friend. There are a few errands to do including moving electronic files back onto my desktop from the back-up drive now that my husband has finished updating my computer and most of the glitches have been worked out. So not my favourite job but... After that I'll either read or sew. We'll see how it goes. One week today and the move should be done. Opening day is April 14th. I can hardly wait.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - two days off

3 comments:

  1. When I was younger I used to feel guilty in those times that I would allow myself to sit and read and rest, as if this whole "protestant ethic" thing had been pounded into my very being. What I didn't realize was how restorative that rest was, and that in fact, I could do more, and be more creative if allowed myself to listen to my needs. Resting and reading are just as productive as doing even if less obviously so on the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A further thought about you don't always know the whole story....

    This is on my personal calling card: Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

    Says everything about how I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas Moore, author of "Care of the Soul" (emphasis on the word CARE), believes that reading is a form of spiritual practice. I worked full time for 40 years while resposible for all the house and yard stuff. I was MAJOR FATIGUED by the time I was able to retire at 56. Somehow I was always able fit in reading and sewing but not as much as I do now that I'm retired from paid work. Reading has become part of my spiritual practice also. Doesn't matter if it's something deep or light and restorative.

    ReplyDelete