_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday 12 April 2011

The Distribution Of Fabric

Blogger continues to do weird things. Monday's posting was written Sunday night and scheduled to post in the morning. Instead, it posted that night with Monday's date. So strange. In the morning, I didn't end up going to work. I wasn't feeling well and spent most of the day curled up on the couch napping.




Kwik Sew 3781 has very few pattern pieces. It says quite clearly on piece 1 that the curved part is the bottom of the sleeve. That would mean that it sits under the arm.




In this diagram, you can see that the seam is underneath the "sleeve" and the garment is balanced with the same amount of fabric in each quarter. If you think about the distribution of fabric, slipping your arms into the image - with the seam under the arm - would mean that the same amount of fabric would need to travel the shorter distance from underarm to underarm around the neck as it would from underarm to underarm around the back. It doesn't work which is why...





... the seam ends up more toward the front. I'm holding it with my thumb in the image above. This is the only position in which the garment will sit neatly against the neck instead of dropping downward. If you look really closely at the photo and drawing on the envelope cover, you can see the seam in that position which is NOT how it's labelled on the pattern piece.





Here's the front without the elastic in the sleeve hem. You can tell from my image that some pinning and tucking happened with the envelope photo because that's the only way the ruffle would sit down lower. It's quite determined, which is why even though I used a similar weight as asked for, I would recommend a much softer fabric with better drape.





The elastic at the back sits right at my waist. That part worked out really well. I used an extra-small length and a large width when I cut out the pieces.

This morning, I've scheduled breakfast with a friend if she's not called into work and then I'm getting my nails done so they're pretty pretty for the opening on Thursday. After that, I may head straight back to the couch. I'm still quite tired. AND... OR... I could think about those three outfits for June.

Talk soon - Myrna

Grateful - health

4 comments:

  1. I love this shrug! I do agree that it needs a soft, drapey fabric. I have knitted shrugs that are very similar in shape to this, and the sleeve seam does go toward the front. I can see why, when picking the garment up, holding it so it hangs in circular form. I hope you're going to make another? I want a white, sheer tone on tone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty shrug. In spite of its issues, it's a fun piece that would add a lot to the right outfit.

    I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see a lot of potential with this shrug and it is pretty despite the problems. I have had the same issues with knitted shrugs, but so far I've only fantasized about redesigning them, shaken my head, and moved on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My gosh. This is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete